1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - can't log into secure websites!

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by AmyK, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. AmyK

AmyK Thread Starter

Hi,

This is my first post - hope I'm posting in the correct forum. I have a huge problem. For some unknown reason, I can't get into secure sites on my home computer. Last week I could, now I can't. As far as I know nothing has changed between now and then. If anyone has ANY advice, I would greatly appreciate it. Not being able to bank online is making me a little crazy. I have looked at several discussions here on this topic. Here's what I've tried so far (and none of it has worked):

Disabled Firewall
    Disabled Norton
    Made sure time and date are correct
    Made sure it has a 128 cipher strength
    Made sure SSL 2.0 & SS 3.0 are checked in my advanced options
    Made sure my security is at medium

At my bank's recommendation I also disabled my pop-up blocker, accepted their cookies, and downloaded the IE service pack #1.

Nothing! I am getting a little frusterated to say the least. Somewhere on these boards I read this:

"Try this - with all browser windows closed, Go to Start->Run and copy and paste each of the following, hitting ok after each:"

regsvr32 softpub.dll
    regsvr32 wintrust.dll
    regsvr32 initpki.dll
    regsvr32 dssenh.dll ****
    regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
    regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll ****
    regsvr32 sccbase.dll ****
    regsvr32 slbcsp.dll ****
    regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

When I did this, the ones w/ stars next to them failed. I have no idea what any of that stuff means, so I don't know if that could be what's causing the problem.

Oh, and yes, I ran a virus scan. Anyone? Please? :eek: I am feeling a little desperate, lol!

Thanks!

2. dr_cool_j

dr_cool_j

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813444

this has worked for me doing these 3-4 steps

Configure the security settings for the Trusted sites zone in Internet Explorer. To do so:
    In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options, and then click the Security tab.
    Click Trusted sites, and then click Default Level.
    Add the SSL Secured (128-Bit) Web site to the Trusted sites zone. To do so, click Sites, type the URL of the site in the Add this Web site to the zone box, click Add, click OK, and then click Apply.

Clear the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) state and AutoComplete history. To do so:
    Click the Content tab.
    Under Certificates, click Clear SSL State.
    Click OK when you receive the message that the SSL cache was successfully cleared.

Under Personal information, click AutoComplete.
    Under Clear AutoComplete history, click Clear Forms. Click OK when you are prompted to confirm the operation.
    Click Clear Passwords. Click OK when you are prompted to clear all previously saved passwords, and then click OK two more times.
    Verify that Internet Explorer is configured to use SSL 2.0 and SSL 3.0. To do so:

Click the Advanced tab.
    In the Settings box, under Security, click to select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes (if they are not already selected), and then click OK.

3. AmyK

AmyK Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll try that as soon as I get home!

4. AmyK

AmyK Thread Starter

I tried everything I could and it's still not working. The advice in that link is geared towards windows XP though, and I have Windows 98 and am using IE 6.0. Sorry, should have mentioned that. If anyone else has ANY other suggestions, please help me out. Thanks!

5. AmyK

AmyK Thread Starter

bump!

6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i had the same problem on a friends PC and we ended up reinstalling as she had IE5
    you should with ie6 beable to run a repair from add/remove - however, i hjave heard of problems here - there is another way of running this - but can find the details yet
    you may also want to read here http://forums.techguy.org/t157045.html
    and the put up a hijackthis log

7. AmyK

AmyK Thread Starter

Solved! Hope this can help someone! I was assuming that since I still couldn't access secure sites when my Norton Anti-Virus was turned off, then that couldn't possibly be the problem. Well, after doing a little more research I decided to go ahead and uninstall Norton. Presto - problem solved! I reloaded Norton and have had no more problems. :cool:

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224562

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice