Help! Cant Login To Xp

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

enacer420

Im running win xp pro, during a recent reboot when i got to my login screen i can use my mouse (usb) and click my username. When i try and type in my password it freezes the mouse and keyboard. U can still see the cursor flashing and i beleive everything is still loading after that becuase i disconnected my UPS and u can hear the audio message. I let it boot and sit there for an hour still same problem. I have tried another keyboard (also ps2) and removed/use another mouse (usb and ps2) problem persists. Even in safe mode also tried last known good config. The only thing i can remember doing before rebooting was going into logitech quickcam to view photobooks and the progam hung and i hard rebooted the computer becuase i couldnt end the process. Ive heard some things about MUP.sys, im not sure if its the last file but when booted in safemode thats the last file u see and it hangs there for a few seconds but still goes the the login screen. I have another HD with win2k on it and replaced it works fine. I have an ATI 9800 that may have recently been damaged (faint horizontal lines inthe backround) not sure if its related. I put the xp problem HD on another machine and tried to boot in safemode it gets to MUP.sys line ( not sure if its just the last file in that order) and then reboots asking me to start normally or in safe mode, tried all options just keeps rebooting. Thanks

Since you have confirmed it is a Windows problem -- not the display adapter, I think the only way you are going to get around this short of a reinstall is to follow the directions here fully (all 3 parts!)

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

You need the Windows CD to access the recovery console -- or you could do the copying in the first part from a slaved drive -- making allowances for the changed drive letter.

It is also possible to burn the recovery console to a cd:

http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729&highlight=recovery+console.html

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online