1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! - can't release IP address and can't access Internet through cable modem...

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by willowyang, Jun 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. willowyang

willowyang Thread Starter

Please help me!

I can't use my cable modem to access the Internet and can't release my IP address in IP configuration, called custom service and talk with the technical supporter many times, they said there is nothing wrong with my computer setting, and they didn't make any repair or upgrate service in my area, they don't know what happened and can't solve it! <Can you believe that? That's exactly what the guy called technical supporter told me, and they work for earthlink.>

My operation system is WIN98. Please help me!

2. nczman

nczman

are the lights on your cable modem showing that you have a good connection? Did tech support give any ideas of what is going on?

I know with mine, occasionally, I have to turn off the cable modem and disconnect all of the wires for about 10 minutes. Then turn on my cable modem, then the router, then reboot the computers.

Road Runner says that some times the connections get hosed and this resets everything. I have had RR 1 year and have had to do this process 3 times now.

3. willowyang

I got 4 green lights on my cable modem, they are POWER, RECEIVE, SEND, and ONLINE. They all work well.

I tried turn off the cable modem, unplug all wires, waiting for 10 minutes, and reboot computer many many times already, but still in same shape.

4. brianF

brianF

Long shot. on the win 98 cd in tools is a file called ipac_on.inf. C

IPAC_ON.INF - ENABLE TCP/IP IP
    AUTOCONFIGURATION

Refer to the previous section for information concerning IP Autoconfiguration.

IP Autoconfiguration Addressing is enabled if the value of IPAutoconfigurationEnabled is
    nonzero or if the registry key is absent.

To set the registry value for IPAutoconfigurationEnabled value to 1:

1.Select IPAC_ON.INF in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the Windows 98 CD.
    2.Right-click IPAC_ON.INF
    -or-
    Hold down the SHIFT key and press F10.
    3.Choose INSTALL to modify the IPAutoconfigurationEnabled value.

5. willowyang

I found IPAC_ON.INF in the \Tools\MTSutil folder on the Windows 98 CD and I use the right button of mouse to choose Install, I don't know it has been installed or not, coz looks like nothing happened after I chose Install and I don't know how can I modify the IPAutoconfigurationEnabled value. Please let me know more detail. Thanks.

6. willowyang

ok, now my IP address has been released. they all back to 0.0.0.0 but I still can't access Internet.

7. brianF

brianF

Reboot the machine, it should reconfigure that file ran on reboot, it will only run once.
    Did you hit the renew all button
    Make sure the right adapter is selected just incase you have more than one listed, should be you ethernet card.

8. brianF

brianF

If that doesn't work then run the other file ipac_off.inf

9. willowyang

yes, after I reboot computer, I found the IP address has been released, but I still can't access Internet. I press Renew all button in IP configuration via Run: winipcfg and I'm pretty sure I chose right adapter which is Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Adapter, but I got a pop-up window, it shows:

Error!
    DHCP Server unavailable: Renewing adapter.

10. willowyang

Should I need go ahead run ipac_off.inf file now to see what gonna happens?

11. brianF

brianF

No I don't think you need to run the ipac_off. It's trying to find the host but can't.
    Try the shutdown. Unplug power to modem, disconnect the modem from the network card.
    Wait 5 minutes
    Reconnect the power to the modem and wait until the lights set up.
    Reconnect the network adapter and reboot.

Something that was done to mine a long time ago when I had such a problem. If it doesn't work I think you isp has a problem resolving your mac adapter address. Their problem not yours.

If you feel comfortable doing it you could go to device manager, remove the network adapter, reboot, let windows reinstall it. You will have to reset up your network protocols manually.

12. willowyang

How many possible problems I may have in this case? cable modem, network card, ISP service, and even some kind of problems in my Win98 system, how can I find out where exactly problem is?

I have a notebook with 100Base-TX Ethernet PC Card. Do you think is a good way to analyze what cause this problem if I remove the modem cable and directly connect to that PC card?
    If so, is there any setting I need to do while I try to use cable modem in my notebook? My notebook also running Win98.

13. brianF

brianF

Sorry I don't have an answer for you. I have always been under the assumption that the dhcp server uses the mac address of the specific network card to verify. Every network card has a unique mac address by law. So when you try to connect it looks at the network card mac address and says okay, I need to assign an ip to this card. I don't think you could use you laptop with it's own but I could be wrong.

If you where to completely remove you network in device manager, then reboot, let windows reinstall it and then redo your tcp/ip settings it may work.

You would need to go to network neighbor hood and write down everything they have installed as far as the following and anything else that is there

1 client for msnetworks if there (no settings to record on this, it just loads after being added)
    2 tcp/ip protocal(you would need to write down all the settings they have put in, ip address, subnet, dhcp
    3 print and file sharing(no settings to adjust here either)
    4. Netbeui if installed

14. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    You should be able to hook up the laptop and connect. The cable modem itself is all that has the mac address. A different network card won't matter.

Start>Settings>CP>Network. Click on the Identification tab and fill in the Computer Name and Workgroup with the same settings from the other PC. Don't restart when prompted. Now scroll down and highlight the entry for "TCP/IP --> Your Network card name " and then click on Properties.

IP Address: Obtain IP Address Automatically
    DNS: Disable DNS
    WINS: Disable WINS
    Gateway: should be empty with no entries
    Bindings: Client for MS Networks though it's not required to connect

Restart the PC.

BTW, how long has this problem been occuring? It sounds to me like your provider is having problems and not you.

[Edited by Bryan on 06-09-2001 at 10:28 PM]

15. brianF

brianF

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/45755

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice