1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP!!!! cant see a thing -

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Rhapsody, Jan 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

HELLO......

I am running Win98se and i can longer get my Monitor to display any thing on it. Comp seems to load up fine but i still cannot see a thing - I keep getting a message on monitor that say: "Check Signal".

My son was typing up his school home work (he saved it) - we walked away from the comp for a few and when we return the comp had frozed up on us - he hit the restart button and from that point on the monitor will not display anything. We even tried hooking up our 2nd monitor to it and it does the same thing.

ANY IDEALS?

Thx,
    Rhapsody :eek: :eek: :eek:

2. p8jx6

p8jx6

does your MB give off any beeps?
    because that sounds like to me a Video card problem, because you say that you have tried a different monitor.
    what type of video card do you have (ISA,PCI,AGP,PCI-ExPress)
    you might have gotten a virus that somehow managed to modify the BIOS, and told it to initialize another card type, or you card could have just died(happend to me, it was an old GeForce 2 MX400)

3. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

No Beeps -
    the Comp loads and the Monitor just give message on the screen that says
    "Please Check Signal"

I will have to check on the card......

4. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

Is there a way for me to check the v-card to see if it is bad?

5. Rhapsody

Rhapsody Thread Starter

The V-card is made by ATI - Rage 2C AGP

Does that help with any thing?

Thx,
    Rhapsody

6. p8jx6

p8jx6

to check if the V-card is bad, you will have to put it into another computer, if it isn't bad then you might want to try a PCI V-card.
    if that works then you will have to go into the BIOS and have it initialize the AGP card first, and not the PCI card, because under normal computing, you don't have a pci v-card in.
    if the AGP doesn't work, you might want to try another AGP, to make sure that it is not the BIOS settings, and then you will have to Buy another Card, if you need a moderate to high, if you do gaming, but if you just do general computing on that machine then you might be able to get away with a simple PCI V-card

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/323672

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice