1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help cdc error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by petergriffen, Apr 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petergriffen

petergriffen Thread Starter

ive recieved a crc error #45 in data after i had to do a recovery of my windows xp professional. I had to do it because it kept on looping and wouldnt' start windows. Just before the recovery finished it gave me cdc error #45. I would like to run scandisc or something but i dont know how to without going to windows does anyone know how i could do this or fix the cdc error

2. petergriffen

3. petergriffen

IM Trying to get either get around windows starting and running scandisc or just getting windwos running, any ideas?

4. petergriffen

its killin me someone please help

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy petergriffen...

I'll try...

I've never heard of a "cdc error #45" do you mean a crc error #45 ?

If you want to get around Scandisk at start up try when scandisk starts hit the ALT + X keys at the same time, this should stop scandisk, but you may have errors when Windows loads...

6. petergriffen

no i wanta run scandisc

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

I see it is a CRC error...

Hmmm...

Will it let you boot to Safe Mode Command prompt ( start tapping the F8 key during boot ) ?

Might be able to run Scandisk from there...

8. petergriffen

nope it gets there but cant start up windows and it'll just keep on looping around trying to start windows forever.???

9. petergriffen

can i run scan disc off a floppy and do that?download it somewhere maybe?

10. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

You can try, but if it is a NTFS drive, I doubt that scandisk will see it...

11. petergriffen

anythign else to do?

12. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

If scandisk couldn't see it, try booting with the XP cd, go into the recovery console, at the prompt type in chkdsk /f /r and see if it will work...

Did you try to reinstall XP over itself ?

Because CRC errors ( hope you backed up your data ) could be a bad sign that the hard drive may have some bad sectors...

Can you tell us what the manufacture of the hard drive is, we could point you to the manufactures website to download the diagnostics for the drive...

13. petergriffen

it is a hp laptop cutsom ze5200 thats all i know. I tried to chkdsk but it said that the sector has something like unfixable damage. I tried the recovery and nothing. THere is nothing on the drive now. it is all gone. i tried to intall a version of xp home didnt work.

14. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok...

This isn't a cool thing...

Hang on let me see if I can find out what type of hard drive it has...

In the mean time reboot the laptop, and see if there is any info on the screen that might tell us what the hard drive is ( when it is booting there should be some info flash on the screen, like memory count, detecting hard drives, ect )...

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Well...

I can't find which specific hard drive it has, you might be able to contact HP, with the serial # to see what it is, then get the diags for the drive...

But...from what it looks like the drive is toast, unless you can get the diags and do a Low Level Format to see if it can recover the drive ( and that is not going to be a gaurantee )...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/217486

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice