1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help. Chipset Cooler

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dant22185, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

I was looking into maybe getting a new HS/ fan for my north bridge chip set. I noticed it gets pretty hot and in turn I am sure some of that heat is moving toward the processor as well.

Question: How do I know what works?

My MB is a Dell. Model: 0M017G, ATX.
    North Bridge: Intel P45 Revision A3

I was looking at getting:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835425007.

The thing I am not sure about is if It will work. On the chip set right now it has 2 retaining clips holding down the aluminum heat sink. I'm not sure if i could reuse these clips or not. Or are chip sets pretty universal?

2. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

3. win2kpro

win2kpro

I'm not familiar with your Dell model, but on most Dell's I work on the two heavy wires that go across the northbridge hook to four "eyelets" soldered to the motherboard.

The "eyelets" and the two heavy wires are part of the overheat system circuit and if you remove them the machine will not boot.

I've had a few Dells in the shop where an "eyelet" has broken loose from the motherboard and the machine thought it was overheating and would not boot because the overheat circuit was broken.

Since there are no wiring schematics available for motherboards, I am not sure exactly how the overheat circuit is wired. In my opinion if you are concerned with the northbridge temperature I would cut a hole in the side panel and use an 80 or 92mm fan with a fan guard to blow more air on the northbridge heatsink.

Truthfully, if the machine is not having problems, I would leave it alone, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4. dant22185

dant22185 Thread Starter

Haha good point. I guess I am being overly worry some of the temps. It is also like you described with wires holding down the HS connected to these little loops on the motherboard.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/867281

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice