1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help choosing kind of linux

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by heylookbjsgay, Sep 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heylookbjsgay

heylookbjsgay Thread Starter

I want to dual boot linux on my laptop I have now.
    It has Vista Home Premium.
    But Im scared I will somehow mess up my computer, which I always end up doing, lol.
    I'm not so sure how to go about this, though.

I want to know the best linux version for me but I'm not so sure...

:(

2. arochester

arochester

3. heylookbjsgay

heylookbjsgay Thread Starter

Erg, I'm scared I'll mess something up lol.

I do have a question about that though, that method: If I do end up doing that dual boot is there anyway to reverse it?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Use Wubi to install Ubuntu as a Windows application. You will get the dual boot experience w/o the need for partitioning. You can remove Wubi/Ubuntu as easily as any other Windows application if you decide you don't like Ubuntu or want to partition and install it "right."

5. prunejuice

prunejuice

Just image your harddrive first, that way, you can always go back and start fresh if you need to.

6. vtel57

vtel57

As a friend of mine used to say, "No guts; no ham sandwich." I took the GNU/Linux plunge over two years ago after my fourth catastrophic patch-induced Windows failure. I've never looked back.

7. SilentTim

SilentTim

I would recommend Ubuntu. It comes on one Live CD and will do most of your partitioning for you.

The question is really what you want from your Linux experience. If its just a general taster, then Ubuntu or Fedora are the best bets I would say. If you want to get into Linux tinkering or want to go whole hog on the free software route, then there are others available, but as a starting point they can be a bit involved.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/751724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice