Help choosing the right pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GaminNeo

Hi, i found about 3 computers that are pretty cheap both $399(CA) for the first two and $339 for the second one. They each have their advantages and disadvantages over each other so i am wondering which one would be better for me. Ill be using it for internet,chatting,gaming, and work.

1...(http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10069781&catid=20217&logon=&langid=EN) Processor Type AMD Sempron 3100+
Processor Speed 1.8GHz
RAM 512MB DDR SDRAM (Exp. To 2GB)
Hard Drive 160GB 7200RPM
Optical Drives Dual Layer 16X DVD+/-RW
Graphics Card Integrated SIS Mirage2 Graphics
Available Expansion Bays 1 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots 2 x PCI
Cache 256KB
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.90
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? Monitor Not Included
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices Compaq Scroller Mouse, Compaq Keyboard
Preloaded Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Sound Card Integrated Sound Card
Speakers No
System Bus 1600MHz

and 2.....http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=CADHS1&l=en&OC=OCDIM1100_FEAT_CH11P11
-didnt give me a copy-able list so i have to give the link to show all its features

and 3 http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0926INGFS10065582&catid=20217.......... Processor Type Intel Celeron D 335
Processor Speed 2.80GHz
RAM 256MB DDR SDRAM PC2700 (Exp. To 2GB)
Hard Drive 80GB
Optical Drives CDRW/DVD-ROM Combo
Graphics Card Intel Extreme Graphics 2
Available Expansion Bays 3 x 3.5", 1 x 5.25"
Available Expansion Slots Info Not Available
Cache 256KB
Disk Drive No
Fax/Modem 56K V.92
I/O Ports See The Features Section
Included Software See The Features Section
Monitor Included? Monitor Not Included
Network Card 10/100 Ethernet
Other Control Devices See The Features Section
Preloaded Operating System XP Home SP2
Sound Card Intel AC 97
Speakers Amplified Stereo Speakers
System Bus 533MHz

(I will most liekly be changing the graphics card when i get more money and possibly adding more RAM because i was thinking about using my next PC to play Games (a few pc games like DiabloII,Halo TRAIL) and emulators like N64 and VBA.. also chatting and homework. So basically old computer games/ emulators. Also browsing the web and IMing.Hopefully you guys can help me out here in picking the right one... i know the motherboards must be really ****py on the eMachines but i dont have over $500 CAD to spend(n)

If you guys do suggest that i pick up one of these computers, then do you think the graphics card and RAM can keep me going for a while? I always read over posts on these forums and i know that i have alot of questions compared to others. Hopefully you guys can save me here. Sorry for asking too much. Thanks a bunch.

the 1st problem you have is the links dont work, the 2nd is there are no expansion slots on any of them for grafix you will need at least an 4x/8x agp slot, pci express 16x even better, the Sempron is probably a 754 socket which if it had a good mobo with a gfx slot wouldnt be to bad, the Dell? forget it, the Celeron???, youre kidding. So none of the above. If youre on a real tight budget, you can get a socket 754 but you would be much better off with a Athlon64 939pin mobo with a pcie16x slot so you can upgrade your video for gaming if you so desire.

GaminNeo

Hi, thanks for the reply. Not sure why the links got messed but i fixed them(i think). Are you sure i cant survive on the PCI slots?Do i really need an AGP or even a PCIe? Its not like i am a hardcore gamer. Both those games (diablo2 and Halopc Trail) and ALSO the N64 emulator work on my older computer that i baught about 5years ago (give or take a year). Im not sure about the specs on it but i never added RAM or a new graphics card. and the Processors are terrible too? are you suggest that i just build a new pc insted of buying any of those three?

GaminNeo said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. Not sure why the links got messed but i fixed them(i think). Are you sure i cant survive on the PCI slots?Do i really need an AGP or even a PCIe? Its not like i am a hardcore gamer. Both those games (diablo2 and Halopc Trail) and ALSO the N64 emulator work on my older computer that i baught about 5years ago (give or take a year). Im not sure about the specs on it but i never added RAM or a new graphics card. and the Processors are terrible too? are you suggest that i just build a new pc insted of buying any of those three?
Well I'll tell you if you really dont need to play newer games, you dont need anymore than what I have, but pci gfx cards are really slow compared with agp or pcie. I would build one, but you need a place like newegg to buy parts, however a Dell is probably going to be cheaper all things considered, but try to find a model in youre budget that has a gfx slot, could you live with pci, yeah but I really cant recommend it, its just so much better to have agp/pcie slot. Emach uses really crappy hardware ECS or pcchips mobos etc. a Celeron is really for a low end office pc only imo.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online