Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Help Closing Port 23

948 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  darct0 
#1 ·
I am sure this question has been asked here, but without a search function I cant jump there.

I read Dr. Virtual forum re: closing port 23 but the help was limited to XP systems. I did find out that running behind a server port 23 will always be open. The Mod there provided a detailed description how to "blackhole" this port, basically sending any requests to an unresponsive address.

Since I'm running Win2000 can you give me help in doing this, or in a simpler way of closing 23?

#2 ·
Port 23 is the telnet port. You shouldnt have to worry about this unless your running a telnet daemon of some type.

Microsoft provides a telnet server with windows 2000 and XP, but its disabled by default, so unless you've enabled it it should still be disabled. You can check this by going Start->Run->"services.msc"->OK. Browse the Name column in the list for Telnet, it should be set to disabled.

#3 ·
cammj

Thanks for the help. When I did "Start->Run->services.msc->OK" I got an error message reading "Cannot find file or one of its components....", so I did a Start->Search->"Services*". This found it at C:\WINNT\system32. With a right click I got a drop down with a "Properties" option. Clicking on that brought up a list of services and status for each. Telnet was listed as "Manual". By bringing up the properties box for telnet I found the option to "Disable", which I did.

BUT, I ran Shields Up and it still shows port 23 open. Should I try to blachole it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.