1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Closing Port 23

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by darct0, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darct0

darct0 Thread Starter

I am sure this question has been asked here, but without a search function I cant jump there.

I read Dr. Virtual forum re: closing port 23 but the help was limited to XP systems. I did find out that running behind a server port 23 will always be open. The Mod there provided a detailed description how to "blackhole" this port, basically sending any requests to an unresponsive address.

Since I'm running Win2000 can you give me help in doing this, or in a simpler way of closing 23?

2. cammj

cammj

Port 23 is the telnet port. You shouldnt have to worry about this unless your running a telnet daemon of some type.

Microsoft provides a telnet server with windows 2000 and XP, but its disabled by default, so unless you've enabled it it should still be disabled. You can check this by going Start->Run->"services.msc"->OK. Browse the Name column in the list for Telnet, it should be set to disabled.

3. darct0

darct0 Thread Starter

cammj

Thanks for the help. When I did "Start->Run->services.msc->OK" I got an error message reading "Cannot find file or one of its components....", so I did a Start->Search->"Services*". This found it at C:\WINNT\system32. With a right click I got a drop down with a "Properties" option. Clicking on that brought up a list of services and status for each. Telnet was listed as "Manual". By bringing up the properties box for telnet I found the option to "Disable", which I did.

BUT, I ran Shields Up and it still shows port 23 open. Should I try to blachole it?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535888

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice