1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Comp Crashed

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dumblonde101, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dumblonde101

Dumblonde101 Thread Starter

My sisters computer has crashed and I am curious on what it could be...First the power supply went, fixed that...then it started to not get power again...this time I was told it was the harddrive, so bought a new one and it still will not boot. It comes up with an error message telling me to check signal. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Is it the Motherboard? PLEASE HELP:confused:

2. MNMike

MNMike

Dumblonde101,

Welcome to the board! A shot in the dark here... have you checked your CPU? I once had problems and thought it was power supply. It ended up being the processor. All I had to do was reseat it and everything worked again. You may want to give that a try.

Mike

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Check the video card and the connection to the monitor.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    It could be a lot of things. Since the powersupply went it could have damaged other parts - mainly the motherboard.

Here's a few things to check/try:

1. Examine the motherboard - look for capacitors on the motherboard that are leaking or have exploded.
    2. Listen for beeps when the computer is turned on - if there are beeps the code will indicate the problem. Post codes here.
    3. the powersupply went again - possibly bad electricity or wiring - try another outlet on another circuit. Try another Powersupply.
    4. maybe the video card or ram has come loose - just reseat the cards in the slots.
    5. The monitor could have died or disconnected.
    6. A card in the computer could be faulty - pull out/disconnect anything that is not necessary - the CPU and Fan, Powersupply, 1 stick of RAM and a video card is all thats needed for the computer to boot - unhook all the drives, external devices, and PCI/ISA cards.
    7. The CPU, Motherboard, video, or RAM may have died. If you have another machine or any spare parts you can test the components
    8. On the Motherboard, there is a CLEAR CMOS jumper, it may need to be used to clear the CMOS(move the jumper to cover the exposed pin(s) then move it back after a few seconds). YOu can also pull out the CMOS battery for a few minutes.
    9. A loose connection - ie power or video. or a bad surge bar - try connecting it directly to the wall.

The step are not in any order - try the easy stuff first.

How many watts is the new powersupply and what make - it may not be enough. Also what kind of computer is it? Hardware Specs please.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172434

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice