1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! Compressing MPG Files.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Rollin_Again, Feb 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Thread Starter

I've transferred a bunch of shows from my Tivo to my PC and converted them to MPG format. I want to burn these MPG files onto DVD but the files are huge and I can only fit 2 one hour shows per DVD. How can I reduce the file size of each MPG so I can fit more per DVD. I don't care if I lose some picture quality and would like to use freeware if possible. The files must maintain their current format (.MPG)

Regards,
    Rollin

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    A standard single layer recordable DVD disc can only hold two hours of broadcast quality video. Does your DVD authoring software allow you to recode the video reduce the quality but increase the playing time. Most DVD authoring programs are not free but many DVD burners do come with some type of free DVD authoring package on a disc that came with the burner. Did your Tivo file -> MPG converion program give you any options for setting the quality of the video files to be generated?

There is free software available for shrinking the size of video files to fit onto a standard blank DVD. I don't think I can mention any names here because these types of programs can also be used in the process of copying copy protected commercial DVDs.

3. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Thread Starter

The program I use to convert my Tivo files to MPG is called Direct Show Dump. I looked but was unable to find any place within the program to change the encoding settings to reduce the file size. Since my portable DVD player can play MPG files directly there is no need to use DVD authoring software. I am simple creating a data disk full of MPG files. I simply need to reduce the size of the MPG so more will fit per disk.

Regards,
    Rollin

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/541397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice