Help Compressing Music File...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

The Infinity

Is there anyway I can compress a music file or make it small enough to put on a floppy disc? I have an old IBM Thinkpad that has only a floppy drive and I couldn't think of anyway to compress a music file small enough to fit on a floppy...if this isnt possible can anyone tell me another way to get my music onto the laptop?

How big is the file you want to compress - both bits and min:sec, and what format is it in at the moment?

Late,

To fit on a floppy you have to get the file smaller than 1.4mb. I'd say for a typical 3 minute song, try *.mp3 64kb/s. If that doesn't work try *.mp3 vbr 64kb/s. get smaller and smaller each time. ur prolly gonna need an encoder or shrinker. I think musicmatch can shrink mp3 files.

The Infinity

say for instance

Metallica - Until it sleeps
Size 4.11MB
Type MP3
BitRate 128kbps
Duration 4:29

And Neon I'm not sure what ur talking about lol "*.mp3 64kp/s" "*.mp3 vbr 64kb/s." lol sry please explain

*mp3 = mp3 format; 64 kb/s - bitrate; vbr = variable bitrate;
for your file try using musicmatch and mp3 compress it to 64 kb/s bitrate vbr if it allows. vbr usually takes up less space because it isn't always a steady 64kb/s sometimes lower. start there and if it is still over 1.4mb make it lower (ofcourse the lower the bitrate the lower the quality)

Ofcourse if the computer you are trying to transfer to has internet it would just be better to save it to your online email account (example gmail or yahoo) and just download it with the other computer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online