1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help computer almost shut down

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by zippo, Apr 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zippo

zippo Thread Starter

Hi All,

Hopefully anyone here can help me

Running: Windows XP
    Direct LAN line: Called them & they told me that modem working corectly, but a "filter" was indicated on their end, meaning they assumed I have a virus. (I am communicating this thru a friends computer because I cannot access mine anymore)

Anyway, the last week or so, everything was starting to go. i.e. left click the mouse (no display shows) click to programs ..nothing comes on, try to shut down, computer will not because too many programs not responding & so on until now cannot get into e-mail, go into web sites & only 1/2 of the web site displays etc. I tried to access "housecall" but could not because most of the web site was gone. Also did a "norton antivirus check" numerous times, but no virus identified. Also noticed that the norton "Auto Protect" was disabled. Previously was always enabled, tried to enable but program would not allow it.

My question is what can I do? I do not want to have to take the CPU in for repair. Can I not do something on my end before it comes to that?

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks all!!!

2. zippo

zippo Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have a post of "HI Jack this" & will send it very soon.

Did an on line virus scan (can't remember which program) did get it from the right of this web site. It indicated 30+ files infected "possible spyware" out of those 30 ---- 4 files indicated the "Keenval" Trojan was indicated.

Did a "housecheck" + "norton" scan & nothing no viruses indicated.

Can anyone recommend a good anti spyware/virus program which will help me elimate. I do not understand why Norton + Housecall did not indicate any virus?????

Any help greatly appreciated.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/220175

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice