1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! computer can't recognize external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by worlwideweapon, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. worlwideweapon

worlwideweapon Thread Starter

my external hard drive all of a sudden stopped showing up in "my computer"
    and a can't find it anywhere else. it make the hardware sound when I plug it in but nothing shows up. when I plug it in another port it comes up with a message saying "USb device not recognized. one of the usb device attached to this computer has malfunction and windows cannot recognize it...."

can anyone help

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Use a port that does not give that messgae. Look in Device Manager after you plug it in and see if it is listed under your drives.

See how it appears in Disk Management (right-click Computer, Manage, Disk Management).

3. ecurci1

ecurci1

I have a WD external hard drive...i plug it in and if I'm lucky it makes the noise that it's connected to the computer, then it disconnects. It won't show up on my computer and hasn't for a few months...i need to retrieve my life from it!

HELP

4. worlwideweapon

when I put it in another port it still makes the sound but doesnt show in disk managment

5. worlwideweapon

in device manager it comes up as unknown device when conected through a port that shows that message.
    and says it doesnt have a driver installed, but it never came with one and use to work,
    but in a port that doesnt show the message it doesnt show up at all
    I don't know what kind of external hard drive it is, it doesnt have anything written on it

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Uninstall the "Unknown Device" and reboot with the drive attached and powered up.

7. worlwideweapon

uninstalling it didnt work so I took it apart and found that its a toshiba HDD2190, do you know where I can download a driver for it from? I tried the toshiba site.

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

There are no drivers needed for drives. There may be a driver for the case, but that would be unusual.

If you have data to recover, you can connect it to the PC internally.

Have you tried it in a different PC? If it doesn't work on a different PC, you can connect the drive internally to see if it works. If it does, then you have a problem with the external case and that needs to be replaced.

If it does work on another PC, then we will know that it is your machine that is the problem and not the drive.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646436

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice