1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Computer crashing in games, been going on for years!

Discussion in 'Games' started by bwilk87, Sep 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bwilk87

bwilk87 Thread Starter

Well this sucks, I just wrote this out like 5min ago and I pressed preview and then never submitted, lol, and then exited out of my browser. GG! Ok, re-typing it all...

Specs:
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66GHz [email protected] 3.2GHz Watercooled
    2GB Corsair Dominators
    2x nVidia GeForce 8800GTX OC2
    XFX nVidia nForce 750i SLI
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
    Wester Digital 160GB HDD
    Windows XP Home Edition :eek:

So, just so you know when you are reading this I am A+, Security+, and Network+ Certified. So I got the background knowledge and the experience. Now, please before jumping to conclusions on what you think the problem is and immediately responding, read what I've tried, you might be just as stumped as I am.

In a nutshell, computer crashes while playing World of Warcraft or Starcraft II. The details behind it involve the computer freezing up completely OR the screen shutting off, thus forcing me to hard restart. It will happen approx. after 3-4 hours of playing either game. I have played Flight Simulator X for hours and nothing has happened. Never froze or anything. At this time I do not really play another other games. I did play Mass Effect 2 for hours and never had anything but that was awhile ago. What I have tried is listed below, its a long one.

- I've already replaced the motherboard.
    - I have gone through ATLEAST 6 new graphics cards. I run SLi 8800GTX's. I originally ran 8800GTS 640MB OC2's but they decided to blow up, so I got 2 new ones from BFG Tech. These as well blew up. I replaced my motherboard and I got 2 more new ones, this time 8800GTX OC2's. Computer still does what I explained. It also did it before any of the replacements, during the new set of 8800GTS and currently during the new 8800GTX's
    - I have run PRIME95 for hours (7-10hrs) on my memory and my processor. Neither returned errors.
    - I have stress tested my graphics cards every time I got a new set, never froze or crashed.
    - I have replaced the drivers with custom ones, which then just caused more problems, so I had to stick with new ones.
    - I have replaced my harddrive 3 times, both of the last 2 were ruined because of all the hard restarts that I have to do.
    - My processor has been overclocked to 3.2 GHz, but I have run it at normal speeds and I still freeze etc., so I returned to having it over clocked again.
    - Oh and my cooling in my system is not the best in the world but its good enough and should not be causing this, its not like dusty. Its a clean case, proper fan placements etc. Processor is watercooled thus reducing a lot of heat inside the case, and airflow is good.

So yeah, I have pretty much run out of ideas. I cant think of anything else in the world that would be causing this and it really sucks because this computer is still good! I dont want to ave to go out and build a new one simply because the parts have GOT to be working in this one, I clearly can run it ... just not for 3-4hours in WoW or Starcraft =[ So halp!

I hope someone has atleast ONE idea, tough tho simply cuz I've almost feel like ive tried everything =[

2. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    From what you have said you have covered most things already.

As a side note, I will say that I used to run an 8800GT which I had loads of problems with in some games (random lockups and crashins requiring hard resets). Like you, I did loads to try and find the cause and never found one (rand the card for about 3 years)! It never crashed when stress tested, only in games, and not all games at that.

After much research I did find quite a few people saying that they had similar problems with 8800 cards if they went over 75 degrees, which isn't a particularly high temp. I stuck an aftermarket cooler on my GPU (keeping it to about 55 degrees under load) and it did seem to help, I got a lot less crashes, but didn't solve it totally.

3. Downeaster

Downeaster

I had similar problems like this a while back, and went through a number of good vid cards. What the
    problem was is a power supply that wasn't large enough for the job. Once I replace the ps everything
    worked better, without the card crashing, and hangups. They don't cost near as much as a good
    vid card and only take a few minutes to change out.

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    The PSU he has should be enough to power that system, unless it is faulty!

Have you checked the outputs with a multimeter, just to be sure?

5. Downeaster

Downeaster

it could be just marginal.

6. schang626

schang626

whats ur temperature after 3 hrs of gaming?

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Have you tried setting affinity to just one core for the games? This has solved one for me. NFSU2 wouldn't play on dual core until I set affinity to just one core.

8. littlephoenix

littlephoenix

few things to look at, starting with...
    tem of your mobo, vcard, CPU
    have you done virus checks or spyware checks on your PC?
    check PSU, could have gone bad
    stick another vcard in there see if it still does it, your 8800GTX could be the culprit

9. bwilk87

bwilk87 Thread Starter

Sorry was gone for awhile and actually forgot I posted. Temps are fine for thsoe who mentioned temps and computer is as clean as a whistle as far as viruses go etc.

Though those who mentioned the PSU have definitely brought something to my attention that MIGHT be the actual problem. I've heard PSU's being an issue for a lot of people and im not talking about the power im talking more about just random surges they give off if they are faulty but you can never really know.

I have checked the PSU with a muiltimeter and everything is good, ive had it on a multimeter for awhile and both red and yellow give off correct voltages along with the rails for the GFX's so, I might save up and purchase a new PSU and see what happens ... if it doesnt fix it ,well I guessi ll have two good PSU's then :p nothing wrong with that lol.

thanks for all the responses, its a tough one =[

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/951338

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice