1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Computer Freezing!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by petercordova86, Jul 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. petercordova86

petercordova86 Thread Starter

My computer freezes when I play an AVI file so I can't watch movies also when playing certain games, and sometimes randomly do I need memory or is it something else? This problem has been a pain in my butt for a very long time.

Hard Disk: 300 GB
    Processor: AMD Athlon 1750 MHz
    Memory: 1024 MB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200

I think that's it, oh and one more thing I was thinking of purchasing this memory is it any good?

PQI DDR 1GB PC3200 Turbo

Well any help would be appreciated thank you.

2. pehbond

pehbond

have you checked for viruses. i saw a pands active scan may do the trick and also are you using the windows media player 11 as there have been a few problems with that i think so if you do i suggest that you give the wmp 10 a go. is your copmputer laggin and your processor usage going through the roof. i should thnink that you ram is ok

3. petercordova86

Yes I have checked for viruses, and got nothing and i'm not using WMP 11 and about my pc laggin sometimes it lags like it pauses every second it's weird

4. pehbond

pehbond

is your processor running hot? a failing fan can cause your pc to lag or perhaps a power supply can cause it. have you tried different programs to play your clips?

5. petercordova86

Well I have like 5 fans in there so I don't think that is the problem I don't know about the power supply but yes I have tried it with wmp, divx, the player that come with ares and they all freeze

6. petercordova86

7. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

If the whole thing seems to pause every second and is generally really really slow, then you might have some sort of adware or spyware. I would run Spybot S&D and Ad-aware and see if those programs can find anything.

I am pretty sure it's not your memory amount, since you have over 1 gig of it. :eek:

8. petercordova86

Well It doesn't run really slow it actually runs pretty fast just sometimes it starts pausing and I have to restart it to fix the pausing, oh and one more thing I have memory defragger and it shows that the memory is constanly low and it has to optimize to recover the it but I will try to run those programs that you have mentioned (although in the past I have tried spybot S&D and it has found nothing that has to do with the freezing

9. petercordova86

ok i scanned it and it still freezes what to do now any suggestions anyone?

10. petercordova86

11. kenneth2k1

kenneth2k1

Have you done a hijackthis log yet?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487133

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice