1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help - Computer Freezing

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Ahmado, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

Hi , I Am Facing A Problem With My Comp , It Freezes Randomly ( Mouse Cursor Cant Move , Keyboard Becomes OFF ... While The Fan Stays Spinning ) It Freezes Like 10 Times A Day And I Have To Reboot it .
    It Mostly Freezes When I Open Big Programs or My Documents or When Scrolling Down A Page or When Opening Notepad ect....

Any Solution ?? Thanks

2. pedroguy

pedroguy

Hi:Boot up in safe mode.Does it still freeze ?

3. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

No It Didnt Freeze In Safe Mode

4. pedroguy

pedroguy

Ok;That suggests that a task or service that is running in normal mode is being a resource hog.
    Were any hardware software changes made about the time this started ?
    Any recently added or updated software would be a prime suspect.
    When it is in "freeze mode",if you can get into task manager,see if there is a task there,that is using a lot (high %) of resources.
    Thee are two other approaches:
    List the tasks running in both modes,and investigate the differences.
    Another approach:
    Start disabling tasks that are started as part of your start up list.
    In Xp,Start/run type in msconfig and select start up tab.
    Disable(uncheck) the items in groups of 4,reboot if still freezes,start(re-check) that group and re-start and so on until hopefully you settle on a group of 4 wherein your offending task might be.
    The easiest of the bunch would be identifying it in the task manager option,but i've tried to give you other options if that fails.
    Also,her is a link to an app that you could start up ,minimize it and see what it tells you about system usage
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

5. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

Before I Try Your Solution I Noticed Something In The Hardware :

I Went To Device Manager , I Found Out That The Intel(R) Managments Engine Interface Has A Yellow Error Sign On It , After Clicking On Its Properties : This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

And After It Freezed I Rebooted And Went To Event Viewer ---> System , And Found This ( At The Same Time Of The Freeze ) : HECI driver has failed to perform handshake with the Firmware.

Does This Have Anything To Do With The Freeze Problem ?? Thanks

6. pedroguy

pedroguy

I would most certainly investigate that first.I did a Google search of your exact message and got a lot of hits.Quite a few dealing with system freeze/sluggishness.A lot of talk about Bios updates etc.Think you would need to do the same search I did and see if anything there makes sense in your environment.Seemed to be a lot of Dell hits.
    Also,If you have online support from your pc maker,it might be a good idea to post up your model and the exact text of the message.Apparently,there should be a string of diagnostic info associated with that message.A few of the hits had the complete string as part of the event log recording of the event,which seemed to indicate which component was at fault.
    That's about all I can suggest.Sorry.

7. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

I Searched At Google , Found Alot Of Hits But Nothing Related To The Freeze , Is This What Causes The Freezing Problem Or Just Another Comp Problem ??

Thanks

8. padawan2002

padawan2002

my pc is freezing too. have to hard reboot it about about 20 times... i have a post going for a couple days about my problem..

9. pedroguy

pedroguy

It's really hard to say.I think it has to be addressed.
    You did not find any hits with the same component diag string as your's in Google ?
    But you can also follow the track that I laid out and perhaps through that fix the problem or eliminate the resource usage as the source of the slowness.

10. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

I Will Download The File and Hopefully The Problem Could Be Identified , Thanks

11. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

The Computer Physical Memory History Is 350.8mb and CPU usage is between 9% and 4% , Does That Help ?

12. pedroguy

pedroguy

That CPU usage is pretty good.Usage at freeze of 70% + would be a problem,but that usage if at freeze,is well within normal.That means the idle task is waiting for work 91% + of the time.
    Think this might be a good time also to post up this problem to the pc makers support forums if available giving the specifics of the error msg.
    What is the diag error string ?

13. Ahmado

Ahmado Thread Starter

Sry Im Not That Pro In Computers , How To See The Diag Error String ??

14. pedroguy

pedroguy

I think in the event viewer that contains the msg.The entries that I found in the Google search showed some additional diagnosis data(error code string of digits) appended to that msg.

15. pedroguy

pedroguy

Here is a link to the Intel site that talks about the code 10 error.I am not an internals expert,but this looks a bit complicated,due to the great # of things that could fix this error(from a bad memory stick to new drivers to the things suggested in this link)
    Think a post to your pc maker and a post to the Intel site ,complete with all the error info and detail of the hardware specs from the code 10 component,might get you get you some suggestions
    http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=56783

And I got there by Googling this :
    "intel managements engine interface"

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943748

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice