1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Computer Reboots Without Warning!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by spirittoo, Jan 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I am running windows 2000 Pro. Today the computer started to reboot without warning.

I ran AVG and found no virus. I ran spybot and found nothing. I ran ad aware and remove what it found. I updated spyblaster.

I thought it might be the powersupply and I put in a new one I had and it still reboots without warning.

Does anyone have any idea what is happening? Please help me! :( :eek:

Thank you for your time.

2. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I discovered the floppy drive isn't working could that be causing the reboot?

Will it stop if I disconnect the floppy?

Thank you for your time.

3. frankjohn

frankjohn

are you running more than 1 hard drive?

4. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Yes, I have two both 80g. Could the floppy drive be causing the problem?

5. frankjohn

frankjohn

IT is 1 of 3> voltage, hardware or settings. you could start from scrach only have the necessary> memory, cpu ,video try running no slave master onlv.I dont know if win 2000 has turn off automatic re boot in system settings advanced mabe there is someone that can post to Win 2000 reboot turn off

6. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Could the floppy drive be the problem?

Must go to bed now .... will check back in the morning .... good night.

If anyone has info please post. Thanks

7. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I would guess it is either a power supply problem or an over heating problem. If over heating you could try by blowing the dust out of the computer with a can of compressed air.

Since you replaced the power supply with a new one Hopefull of good quality and adequate power, I would assume that is not the problem. However if you chose a poor quality Cheap power supply that could still be the problem. By the way if the systemin your signature is the one we are discussing, Power Max is not a good quality power supply and could be suspect.

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is possible that your floppy drive is causing the problem; why not just disconnect it and find out? It is very simple to open the case and pull the power connector.

To find out what is causing the reboot, turn off auto restart. Control panel>system>advanced>startup and recovery. Now clear the checkmark from restart after failure. This will give you a bsod with some error codes. Post whatever it says.

9. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. I checked the drivers and the video card and monitor were updated by window. This morning I went out for a couple of hours and l left the machine on. When I got back it had not rebooted.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the bit torrent I was running. After about 40 minutes of running it the machine rebooted.

It has to be the bit tornado causing the problem. Each time the machine reboots it was running. And usually 30-40 minutes of run time. This has never happen with it before. It has been a while since I have used it, but when ever I did in the past this has not happen.

What I plan to do is run AVG and the other spyware stuff in safe mode and see if I get anything.

I will also follow your suggestion crjdriver and see what it tells me and post it. I will get back to you.

Dusty what would your recommend as far as a good power supply. I've had this powermax for a couple of years now and I haven't had any problem with it.

Thanks

10. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Following crj's suggestion this is what I got when I unchecked the auto reboot.

I got a blue screen after 57 minutes downloading using the bittorrent.

This is the message I got ...

***STOP: 0X0000000D1, (0 X 00000009, 0 X 00000002, 0 X 00000000, 0 X 000000009)
    DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
    Beginning dump or physical memory.
    Physical memory dump complete. Contact your system administrator or tech support group .....

So what do you think?

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Ok, that message is basically caused by a device driver trying to access a memory address that either it [device driver] does not have access to or the memory / hardware itself is at fault.

What I would do.
    1 Restart the system in safe mode. Run an app that will stress the system. I like to use prime95, however there are others as well. If it runs prime95 error free in safe mode for a min of 2hr, your hardware is ok. If it reboots in safe mode or gives errors, you have a hardware issue ie memory, power supply, failing mb, etc.

2 Check the event viewer to see if it will shed some light on possible application problems.

3 Since you have this issue when using BT, I would uninstall it since we cannot provide any help with file sharing apps. In addition if you have a cable modem, I would check to see if there are any updated drivers for the modem. You could be getting a driver conflict when downloading large files, etc using bt.

12. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW here is a MS article that addresses the error code you received. The articel is from the xp resource kit, however it applies to win2k also.

13. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

I checked all the drivers they are all updated. How do I check the event viewer?

Will any application due?

I think you are right .... there could be some kind of driver conflict. Thanks for the info.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Event viewer; control panel>admin tools>event viewer. Here is a link to prime95 it is a free download.

Yes there are others like sisandra, etc. I just use p95 because it is easy and will show any errors.

15. spirittoo

spirittoo Thread Starter

Thanks for the link ..... now what am I looking for in the event viewer?

I see some warning about too many files on one of my extra drives. Is that causing the problem?:eek:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/432724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice