1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! Computer Screen Switching Off!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Alikiwi, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Alikiwi

Alikiwi Thread Starter

Please please help!

I have a Dell Inspiron 8500. It's a wonderful computer that i rely on with my life!
    Here's the problem: I turn the computer on and within about 30 seconds the moniter/screen goes black. The computer is still on and there's nothing else apparently wrong, except that the screen is black. If i close the screen and let it go on standby and then re-open it, the screen will come back up but again for only 30 seconds.

I have put the computer in safemode, but even in safe-mode the computer still turns off the moniter. It appears that the problem would then only be with the moniter but i cant really figure it out, since last night i just did what i do every night- closed it, let it go on standby and put it on the floor.

Here's what i'm thinking could be possible problems:
    1) A few days ago the computer had an overheated message, but after I'd left it alone for 5 minutes i put it back on and it was fine. So that could now be manifesting itself as a larger problem now.
    2)I live in the UK but am from the US and so my computer is always in an adapter. I've been here almost 2 years, but maybe now it's just powering out?
    3) I did just download Bittorrent lsat week (im sorry, i know it says no mention of these things but it may be relevant and its not a question actually about that) so there could be some kind of virus? But, then again, I have avast, spybot and adaware, so i'm pretty up on all of that stuff. And i've never used kazaa or anything like that
    4) The last few times i turned off the computer before this problem it was having a pop up about something called shellcon, which i looked up and is apparently linked to musicmatch?
    5) I also am obsessed with photoshop and skype and use them constantly, so it could be related to either of these, perhaps?

Thats as much info as i can think of... I would post a hijack list but it would be difficult as i have to keep re-doing it every 30 seconds but if that would be helpful i can try to muster it!

Please please someone help. I am lost without my computer and really need some advice! Thank yoU!

2. Old Rich

Old Rich

First thing I wold look at is your screensaver options . . particularly the Power Saver Options . . make sure they are not set for 30 seconds.

Next I would try a different monitor to see if I got the same results.

Do you have a up to date Anti Virus program . . have you scanned lately?

With some of the junkware you have, it could be a long haul . . a clean install may be the shortest route.

wrs

3. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

4. Shairel

Shairel

Try connecting your laptop to an external monitor and see if it exhibits the issue on the external monitor. You may need to use some combination of your function key and some numerals in order to get the external screen working. This will rule out a bad panel, hinge joint, or something along those lines.

Among simpler solutions, is the little toggle switch that is actuated when the lid is closed stuck in the down or closed position, this would make the laptop think you are going into power saving mode constantly

5. Alikiwi

Alikiwi Thread Starter

Hi

Thanks for the advice, but none of that has been paticularl helpful, sad to sa.

So a few new things to report:
    first, i've run avast, and though i've done a full scan its come up with nothing. Second, i've notcied that the screen becomes a bit purple before it goes to normal colour when i've turned it on. BUt most noticeably i've seen that the screen isnt actuall turning off- its just becomming so dark that i cant see it. This is quite strange, but when i shine a light on it i can see that its on just very very dark. Now, i'm going to post my hijak file- PLEASR dont tell me i've done it wrong. It was so hard to get this, and i know its a pain if its not right, but i promise that this was difficult to get and took quite some time, so please try to help if you can. Thanks

Logfile of HijackThis v1.97.7
    Scan saved at 7:58:32 PM, on 3/1/2005
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\pctspk.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
    C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
    C:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
    C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
    C:\Program Files\NoAds\NoAds.exe
    C:\Program Files\Screen Calendar\scrcal.exe
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\Ati2evxx.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\MMDiag.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cisvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\EPSON\EBAPI\SAgent2.exe
    C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mim.exe
    C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsrte.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\sdpasvc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\wanmpsvc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
    c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcshield.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\wbem\wmiapsrv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashSimpl.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\cidaemon.exe
    C:\PROGRAM FILES\ATI TECHNOLOGIES\ATI CONTROL PANEL\ATIPTAXX.EXE
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Ali Rosen\Desktop\Unused Desktop Shortcuts\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.google.co.uk/
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dellnet.com/
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = http://channels.aimtoday.com/search/aimtoolbar.jsp
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.ocx
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: AIM Search - {40D41A8B-D79B-43d7-99A7-9EE0F344C385} - C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDSentry] C:\WINDOWS\System32\DSentry.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\Program Files\McAfee.com\Agent\mcagent.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\McAfee.com\Agent\McUpdate.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] c:\PROGRA~1\mcafee.com\vso\mcvsshld.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MMTray] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mm_tray.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MimBoot] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\MUSICMATCH Jukebox\mimboot.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [AIM] C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe -cnetwait.odl
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [NoAds] "C:\Program Files\NoAds\NoAds.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Screen Calendar] "C:\Program Files\Screen Calendar\scrcal.exe" -m
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
    O4 - Global Startup: America Online 8.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\America Online 8.0\aoltray.exe
    O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
    O8 - Extra context menu item: &AIM Search - res://C:\Program Files\AIM Toolbar\AIMBar.dll/aimsearch.htm
    O9 - Extra button: AIM (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Real.com (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger (HKLM)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger (HKLM)
    O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
    O15 - Trusted Zone: *.musicmatch.com
    O16 - DPF: {02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B} (QuickTime Object) - http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab
    O16 - DPF: {33564D57-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71} - http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/6/E/F6E491A6-77E1-4E20-9F5F-94901338C922/wmv9VCM.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/as5/asinst.cab
    O16 - DPF: {9FC5238F-12C4-454F-B1B5-74599A21DE47} (Webshots Photo Uploader) - http://community.webshots.com/html/WSPhotoUploader.CAB
    O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab

6. Alikiwi

Alikiwi Thread Starter

also, if i push the button that should make it go on standby, to indicate that thescreen is closed, the screen will come back on. So its on, its just that you can only get full colour screen for like 20 seconds

7. Alikiwi

Alikiwi Thread Starter

Another thing:

I did an avast scan, and there were a few files that were viruses, but also a number of things that 'couldnt be scanned', so i just moved and renamed them, but a good number of them couldnt move. I tried to cut and paste, but that didnt work. Some of the unmovable files were .class, from lavasoft, from documents and settings, a lot of .dll in the documents and settings, a few ffrom system recovery in documents and settings

i dont know if any of that helps, but im just trying to post as much information as i have. Thanks

8. Shairel

Shairel

So basically your screen's backlight is shutting off. Try to boot to dos or some other command line by using a boot disk or the ultimate boot CD. If this issue still occurs outside of windows, there may be something hardware-wise wrong with your laptop LCD's backlight.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/336057

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice