1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Computer Virus! Possibly a Trojan?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by ryanborchardt, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanborchardt

ryanborchardt Thread Starter

Ok, while browsing the internet, I think I accidentally clicked "ok" to one of those popups claiming to have found a virus. Now, I have a popup called "Antivirus Software" that is obviously fake asking me to activate the antivirus software. I can't open ANY programs at all, including the internet or malwarebytes. Every time I click on a program, a popup says that the file is infected. I booted the laptop in safe mode and ran both "malwarebytes" and "dr.web cure it". Both of these found trojans and viruses and claimed to have deleted/gotten rid of them. This didn't work because when I restarted the computer in regular mode, I still can't open any programs and am getting constant "antivirus software" popups and "windows security alert" popups. I have no idea what else to do? Please help.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Please click on Report and kindly ask to be moved to the Virus & Other Malware Removal forum. Be sure to provide the appropriate reports in that forum after reading THIS. From there, be patient. You should get an answer within the next 48 hours. Those guys are really busy!

3. ryanborchardt

ryanborchardt Thread Starter

Phantom, about eight months ago, I posted here with a problem on a different computer and your answer work perfectly:

My Question:
    "Ok so I got on my computer this morning and got the following message whenever I tried to open any program (Windows Explorer, Firefox, Microsoft Word etc): "The file does not have a program associated with it Create an association in the Set Associations Control Panel" Now none of my programs would start, just this message would come up. (I am posting this question from a laptop.) What could have caused this and What can I do to fix this problem?
    This is really starting to worry me. I cant even open Norton 360 and I cant download Malwarebytes. It isnt letting me do anything
    It isnt letting me download anything so I cant access malwarebytes and I am unable to access the internet whenever I go into Safe mode with networking. What is causing this and what options do I have?"

Your Answer:
    "XP:

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

Vista:

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Unzip the fix and extract the .REG file to the Desktop. Right-click the .REG file and choose Merge. Note that you need to be an Administrator to apply this fix.

Reboot the computer.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor

Then,

Please click here to download and install version 2.0.2 of the HijackThis Installer.

Run it and select Do a system scan and save a logfile.

The log will be saved in Notepad. Copy and paste the log in your next post.

Do not fix anything"
    This answer worked PERFECTLY and saved my computer. However, the symptoms are different for my laptop. Would the solution for that old problem on my Vista computer work for this new problem on my laptop (Windows 7)?

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

For Windows 7, it's the W7 EXE Fix.

However, you do need to have the infection taken care of.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/970331

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice