Help, computer will not boot...processor busted???

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

HANZI

I've had the computer for about 2 years and now it suddenly will not boot up. All the fans of the computer power up as normal and i believe i can hear the hard drive starting up, but still nothing happens. I have not changed anything since i got it, nor have i recently downloaded anything. so I tested my monitor on another computer to eliminate a monitor issue, i proceeded to have my graphics card replaced by warranty and installed the new graphics card(same model) with still no improvement. My next suspicion would be the processor, but im not sure my current specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Intel Desktop Board D865PERL
Processor: Intel Pentium 4
Memory: 200g
Ram: 8g(Kingston 2g x4)
PSU:400W
Graphis Card: BFG NVDIA 6200OC 256mb
Operating System: Windows XP Pro

if there is any more information needed please let me know and i will do my best to give them to you.

In reality there are hundreds of things that could prevent a boot, but the most common is a faulty Power Supply Unit (PSU)

Unless the voltages inside the PSU settle correctly within about 0.4 seconds after turn-on, the CPU will not reset and commence booting.

Fans drives and lights might work, but that is no guarantee of a PSU being OK.

I do not respond to questions by personal messaging, but to answer your question, a power supply tester is probably as mauch as a replacement power supply in cost.

crjdriver

As kiwi has posted, there are numerous items that will prevent a post however I would start with the pw supply. Swap in a known good unit [Note just because a pw supply is new does NOT mean it works] Having a known working pw supply sitting around works wonders for troubleshooting.

You do not have to fully install the psu, you can just connect the atx power and aux power connectors to see if the system will post.

I don't understand what you have listed under memory; i.e. "Memory 200g, then Ram: 8g(Kingston 2g x4)".

When did you add the memory? I've never seen DDR memory available in 2GB. sticks, the maximum I have ever seen was 1GB. sticks.

HANZI

Thanks for the input everyone. Sorry if the information i gave isn't detailed but my Hard Drive is 200g and my Ram or Memory is 8g they are Kingston Hyper X and each is a 2g stick. Although my board may not support it thats how it was given to me. Are there any suggested PSU brand that you would recommend? Once again thans everyone and sorry about the info.

Pull out a stick of the memory and post the Kingston part number from the sticker on the memory.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts