1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Computer will not come on!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by demples004, Jul 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demples004

demples004 Thread Starter

I hope someone can help me, I have an Microsoft Windows XP eMachine, W2646, the problem is I cannot get it to come on. This past Saturday morning I heard a clicking sound coming out of the computer room, when I went to check, the HDD Activity LED was flickering nonstop with the clicking sound.

The keyboard lights were flashing too, it will not stop, I unplugged it and plugged it back up and it is still doing the same thing. My screen is black, the monitor's green light is showing that it is on yet there is nothing on the screen.

Is it my modem burning out or has it burned out? Can anyone help? Am I making sense to anyone? Thanks!

2. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Your description of the sound it makes is classic. It is most likely a dead hard disk.

3. d0uga1

d0uga1

have you tried replacing the cmos battery my brother had a similar problem which turned out to be the cmos battery was dead.

but when he replaced it about an hour later the hard drive stopped working.

4. demples004

I am not as up on computers as you, so what must I do now? I have quite a lot of important information stored on my computer, can I retrieve all of my programs and info?

5. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

If what I suspect is wrong with the hard disk is actually the case, your data recovery is going to be very expensive.

Scolding: Backup, Backup, backup. If you haven't done it, you're scre*ed.

Recovery cost will probably be between $1000 and $2000 while the cost of a DVD backup is under one dollar. The best place I know of for that is www.cherrysystems.com.

6. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Remove the drive and try it on a different machine...... except you've by no means established that it's a hard drive problem.
    If you remove the hard drive, the computer should still start normally to the point where you receive a drive failure message.

The average "eMachines" primary weakness is it's power supply, which could have in turn damaged numerous other components (like the motherboard).
    Crap power supplies tend not to fail safely......

7. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

I agree with Rumpo-Stiltskin that a bad hard disk hasn't been established--yet. But I'm jumping ahead because I am reasonably sure where you're going to land--on a bad hard disk.

If you do happen to get it to run, be ready to burn CDs or DVDs without having to restart the computer because it may be the last time it ever does.

8. demples004

Where is the hard drive located and how do you remove it? I know, I know, I am a babe when it comes to the serious technicalities of a computer! You guys are great! Thanks!

9. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

The hard disk is a rectangular metal part, usually black with a silver top, 4 inches by 5.75 inches and just under an inch thick. Here's a picture of a laptop's hard disk. The laptop's disk is smaller, physically; but the proportions are the same"

http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/h/harddriv.htm

With the clicking you described, the hard disk is my first choice and then the board; but, my bet goes strongly to the disk.

I had to inquire for a customer today about the very problem you are having now with identical symptoms, clicking included. Here's the reply I just got back from Cherry Systems:

10. Alex Ethridge

Alex Ethridge

Something I forgot to mention, older computers use IDE and so do newer ones; but, there was a recent change in the type of IDE that may or may not affect your situation significantly.

The older IDE, now called Parallel IDE, uses a 40-pin connector, 20 pins in each row. The connector is about two inches wide and just under a quarter-inch thick. The data cable that connects it to the main board is flat, about two inches wide, very thin and usually gray.

The newer one is Serial IDE, aka Serial ATA, Serial IDE and SATA, and very different and so is the power cord different. It is just over a quarter-inch wide and about as thick as a cheap lamp cord. Colors vary widely.

The change to SATA is very recent so there is a good chance both your systems are Parallel IDE.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/484481

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice