1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: computer will only start in safe mode!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by StinkyPete, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StinkyPete

StinkyPete Thread Starter

I have a computer with windows XP that will no longer "start normally..."

When I shut it down, it brings up five options:

Start in Safe Mode,
    Start in Safe Mode with MS Config (IIRC),
    Start in Safe Mode with Networking,
    Use last know settings that worked, or
    Start Normally

And basically, it will no longer start normally, it will only start in one of the safe modes. When it does, it brings up a box that asks if I would like to run System Restore, but if I do, it will only go so far. I can get to where I would like to choose the date to restore it to, then when I click "Next" it does nothing.

I really hope I can get this fixed as I have a lot of pictures and files that I would like to get off of the computer. The computer this is happening to is the newest one I have and I guess that's why I never really worried about this happening, but if someone could please help me that would be great!!

Also, I have a few anti-spyware programs on the computer, but if I bring them up to find anything, it says something about the "hard delete disabled" or something like that - I don't remember. But I do remember it found some backdoor.tdss.something files on there, I don't know if that would have anything to do with it. I just know it was have a lot of problems with spyware/ads popping up trying to get me to download this antivirus crap.

Thanks, Gary

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768225

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice