1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! Computer won't boot up

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SweetChick, Oct 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SweetChick

SweetChick Thread Starter

I went to start the computer today (Dell 8200 P4 2GHZ) and all I got was a black screen that said to hit F1 to retry or F2 for set up, I got to set up and it said the harddrive and the cd drive could not be found? I opened the case and checked all the connections and it still won't boot up, tried booting off the XP install disk but it won't see the CD and I don't have a boot disk for the floppy, what should I do? I pulled my old Compaq P2 300 out of mothballs to get online to try to figure this out. Thanks

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

It sounds like the IDE controller has gone AWOL

If all cables are in, and power is on the devices (does the HDD spin up?) then it could be a Motherboard failure.

3. SweetChick

I think it's getting power because the CD and CD-RW will open the trays, if it is a motherboard failure can I buy a new one someplace other than Dell? And what type does a Dell 8200 take? Thanks

4. mcse72

mcse72

Before you go out and buy a new motherboard, try a different IDE cable. The one you have might be bad.

5. mcse72

mcse72

Actually, after reading your post again, you have more than one IDE cable so it is probably your motherboard.

6. milomorai

milomorai

sorry, you will have to get the mobo from dell - they use a proprietary wiring system that is not available from anybody else. if you put a standard mobo in there it will burn up.

7. SweetChick

Thanks guys, I'm still going to fool around with it some, if I end up needing a new mb I might just build my own puter this time and try to use the processor, drives and video card from the Dell.

8. mcse72

mcse72

Oh, and one more thing you can check out is the IDE controller settings in the BIOS after pressing f1(setup). Make sure they are not disabled. If they are, enable them and reboot.

9. prospect

prospect

you can get bootdisk here, http://bootdisk.com/ How old is your PC? What kind of OS do you have? What have ya been doing to your PC lately?

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

And while you are looking in the bios setup.....be sure the hard drive and cdrom appear there, it could be just the cmos battery is going bye bye and has forgotten it has drives.

11. SweetChick

Well I got it working again, after taking out the second hard drive and the network card and putting them in my old Compaq so I could have my files and get online, I went and put the Dell on the old Compaq monitor and it fired right up??? Now if it will work when I put the stuff back in it I will be in business.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171045

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice