1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help!! Connect 2 laptops directly w/ethernet w/1 laptop wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Litlbt4me, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Litlbt4me

Litlbt4me Thread Starter

I am a new member and have never,ever posted before on any forum but am totally confused and lost here..I know some about computers and had both my laptops connected for 1 whole day before I made the mistake and turned them off at the end of the day...now can't remember how to get it to work again...please...how do I connect them directly together with a ethernet cable so that I am able to connect to the internet from both?? One is Windows Media xp and is built in wireless..my other one is also xp but doesn't have built in wifi and I broke my netgear adapter so unable to connect. We run off the internet wifi offered free from where we live so how do I solve this issue??? p.s. no modem or router available to use and I am homebound/disabled....can someone walk me through the steps of creating a network for home and whatever else I need to do to fix this ?????? Thanks!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    After connecting them together by ethernet enable Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) on the wireless connection that has internet access. You can probably also bridge the wireless and ethernet connections, but to say that I'm making the assumption that you are not restricted to only one IP address on your free Wi-Fi. I haven't given any more details, since I assume this will jog your memory of which you did yesterday.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/964336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice