1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help connecting wireless laptop to internet/network

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 2teach, Apr 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 2teach

2teach Thread Starter

I've spent a few hours trying to connect my laptop to my roadrunner cable through a netgear wireless usb adapter. The desktop is working fine that is directly connected to the modem and router. I spent half an hour on the phone with tech support from netgear and everything they went through with me did not work. They said to contact the laptop support. The netgear adapter software wizard keeps scanning so that when it is on channel 11 it gets a signal for a few moments, then continues to scan through other channels and lose the signal for a minute or two. Any ideas? PLEASE!!!:confused:

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver and utility (from Netgear's web site) for the adapter.

If you have Windows XP SP2 make sure WZC is not running ...

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services - look at Wireless Zero Configuration. If necessary Stop it and change the Startup Type to 'Disabled.'

Is your router's SSID broadcast enabled? Is that the channel 11 signal that the adapter "sees" briefly?

3. 2teach

2teach Thread Starter

My desktop has Windows XP, but that is working fine.

My laptop that won't connect has Windows ME.

I used the disk from Netgear to install the driver and utility. I even tried uninstalling it and reinstalling, with the same result.

I'm not sure what you mean by my router's SSID being broadcast enabled. The channel 11 that keeps getting picked up briefly couldn't be a campground that is 2 miles away could it? It's one of the least expensive netgear wirless adapters, so I didn't think it had much range. I'm only trying to get range through one wall of my house. When channel 11 is picked it up, ever so briefly, it has over 80% signal.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest driver and utility (from Netgear's web site) for the adapter. After they burn a CD they never retrieve the CD to update it.

What is your network's SSID? What channel is it using? When your laptop is in the same room with the router what SSIDs does it detect?

5. ibetyouluvthis

ibetyouluvthis

Who is you internet service provider? Try contacting their technical support group

6. 2teach

2teach Thread Starter

I went to the netgear website and downloaded and reinstalled the router driver and utility, since no SSID was available according to the settings. Now NETGEAR is the SSID and Channel 11 is the correct channel. I went to the laptop and reinstalled the wireless adapters driver and utility and still the same thing happens. It has a connection briefly (one or two seconds) and then continues to scan channels and loses the connection for a minute or two. I will try contacting my ISP, but if anyone has any other suggestions in the meantime, that would be great!

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Contacting your ISP should be a waste of time, since that have nothing to do with your router or adapter.

I don't understand what you did with the router. Routers have no driver or utility. Did you update the firmware? Did you previously have the SSID broadcast disabled, and now it's the default?

It sounds like the adapter may be bad. But there also could be some Windows corruption that is causing the problem. Try the adapter on your desktop or some other computer.

8. 2teach

2teach Thread Starter

I finally got it working - thanks for all you help! I did go back to the netgear website and downloaded another driver and utility for the adapter (there were several), uninstalled the previous one, and installed this new one and it worked! Thanks again - I couldn't have done it without your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/567008

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice