1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Constantly freezing laptop!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by RAGEDuser, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RAGEDuser

RAGEDuser Thread Starter

Hi,

I have this laptop I sto- I mean borrowed from my brother and I have been having constant bother from it.

It began with the problems of two broken keys (G and H) and a problem with connecting to the internet...

So I sent it off.

When it came back from a computer repair company called "Tech Guys" (This is in England, by the buy) and it made things worse. It then started freezing on occasions and the date and time settings were broken.

I sent it off again,

They replaced the motherboard because it was corrupted but then freezing became the terrible condition and I sent it off, again and again. But they didn't fix it. They didn't send me a new one either. Luckily we get unlimited fixes because we pay.

I want to fix it, could you guys kindly look into it?

Thanks.

2. Jubbaloo

Jubbaloo

There are a couple of potential software things you could try but you have to be careful. I have worked for the Techguys - they are very finicky about people doing things that 'invalidate' your support package. I would try doing a complete system reinstall if a new MoBo hasnt fixed the problem.

But I would really say just keep sending it in and letting them fix it, the guys in the workshop are generally quite good they just ridiculously busy.

I know it wasnt exactly what you were after but hope it helps

3. RAGEDuser

RAGEDuser Thread Starter

Thanks for your answer! I'll keep trying, but I'd still appreciate more solutions if you can

4. Jubbaloo

Jubbaloo

Can you describe the 'freezing' is it at specific points or if it has been on for a particular amount of time. Does it freeze and then release so you can carry on.

It helps identify what the problem could be.

5. RAGEDuser

RAGEDuser Thread Starter

At first it was when I moved it, then it was that and randomly

6. Jubbaloo

Jubbaloo

If it is caused by movement then it almost has to be a hardware problem - I would have thought that the new MoBO would have fixed this but evidently not.

The only thing i can really suggest is doing a full Reinstall - starting fresh to eliminate any possible software or driver issues. But i doubt it will help. I think it will need time in the workshop.

7. RAGEDuser

RAGEDuser Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll get right on it.

8. Jubbaloo

Jubbaloo

9. RAGEDuser

RAGEDuser Thread Starter

Woah nelly, you'll love this, a new list of problems:

Overheating may be something, as deduced by a warm leg and what looks like a scorched vent.

USB ports ALL broke

Freezing has gotten so bad that the first screen on boot up freezed up.

Yeah, so can any of you guys deduce the problem?

10. Jubbaloo

Jubbaloo

Sounds like maybe the Mobo again, maybe the fans have gone. Its confirmed its a hardware issue so if you have support use it.

Could be very expensive to try and do it yourself

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/828928

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice