1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help cool down my build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DigitalBlasphmy, Jul 6, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. DigitalBlasphmy

DigitalBlasphmy Thread Starter

Ive owned many a pc in my day and many ran hot. Some so hot it reset. Some were due to dust, others just needed an extra fan.

Well this current one I have is a little different then ive owned before. Its an IBUYPOWER bb931 and it has liquid cooling. When I got it it ran warm and got louder when gaming on left monitor, movie on the right. Now its just as hot and its not as loud. Fan is visably spinning but the pc is very hot to the touch.

Dusted all ready but havent messed with anything else.

Here is the HWMonitor file. Please help me with some steps I can take to fix this.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
  3. DigitalBlasphmy

yeah the liquid cooling fan is running. I guess I need to add a fan, just have to figure out which one and where to put it. And inside is too hot but according to the monitor, the cpu is very hot

4. replay

replay

some pics of your computer would help (inside and all of the fans)

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

If your cpu is in fact hitting 97C, it is too hot. The very first thing I would do would be to download and install the msi command center program for your motherboard. IMO hwmonitor is next to useless; it was a fine program in its day however that day has passed. The purpose designed monitoring software will give you a more accurate reading of temps and voltages.

Unless there is a problem with the liquid cooling system, it should never go above 55C or so. Even my VERY overclocked ryzen 1700X runs around 55C when running prime95 [coolermaster 240 AIO liquid cooler]

6. DigitalBlasphmy

ok, so I did get the MSI command center first. THANKS! Love it. Also HWM I think isnt the best, was way over temps as opposed to both MSI command and speed fan. However the heat was real.

So I have https://www.cnet.com/products/ibuypower-bb931-tower-core-i7-7700k-4-2-ghz-16-gb-1-24-tb/specs/

It has a z270 pc mate MB. I took the glass off to check things out. The GPU seems to be the warmest, by far. CPU is warm, GPU is hot. Anyway I took an older fan from a unused pc, plugged it into the plug labled fan pump 1 (no idea what that is). As pictured in pc 3 I set it at the top to blow out the air. I messed with it in command center, as in did the auto tune thing. It runs pretty loud but its taken the temp down for now. Im going to buy one that fits, silent or more quiet, and permanent.

Its still running a little high temp but since I did those things it seems to be not as hot.

Im not sure what kind of case this is to be able to put a fan up there. But when I get one, should it be blowing upwards and out or down?

I really appreciate the help so far, never would have done this without yous!

Attached Files:

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I never use msi boards so I am not really sure of the following. Your case fan should be plugged into a chassis fan header not a water pump header. Most higher end boards ie asus, gigabyte, or asrock allow you to config the pump header as either a water pump or chassis fan; this is done in the bios. Again I never use msi so I do not know if this option is available to you.
    You appear to have a single radiator. You might want to consider a larger water cooling radiator like a coolermaster 240 or similar.
    Just my opinion however if you are not overclocking, there really is no need for water cooling. A quality heatsink fan like a coolermaster 212 or similar will work fine and you never have to worry about leaks, hose cracking, etc. I use water cooling on one of my systems because it is very overclocked and the temps were too high with air cooling.

Believe the msi command center over hwm. Command center is purpose designed monitoring software and it will give you the most accurate data.

Just for your info, ibuypower is NOT noted as being a quality mfg. Their products are mid-level at best.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
  8. replay

replay

By the looks of your last pic
    Is your tower inside a cabinet and you pulled it out to take a pic???
    Also check the fans if they are intake or exhaust

9. kenbok51

kenbok51

Your graphics card appears to be a two slot type which is supposed to blow the hot air out the back. Make sure you didn't leave the slot cover on that section (I doubt you'd do that). If your cooling fan is blowing out the case, it's probably pulling most of the air out of the top vent which means less air from the case itself. The cooling fan should be blowing out and I have read reviews from PC magazines where when building a water cooled system they had to put the fan on the outside in order to get it to blow outwards because of the way the mounting holes of the fan were (basically backwords). If you mount the top fan to blow in, it will do the same thing as leaving just the vents since an outward back fan would pull that air away before it could cool inside the box. Is it possible to get a fan up front?

When using multiple fans you need to consider positive air pressure (more air coming in than out) and adjust your fan directions accordingly. Not only is it a better cooling solution it also prevents dust from entering the the vent holes when there is more pressure going out than coming in.

10. DigitalBlasphmy

This of course was a prebuilt system I got from bestbuy last year. Came with the liquid cooling on it. I am not opposed to putting something else on it. My last pc I had wasnt the best one but I had to replace the fan on it and im comfortable with doing that. I got this pc because im not comfortable with building my own and it was priced in my budget at the time. My wife got a dell omen earlier this year and it doesnt run the slightest hot in heavy loads and is almost silent. Im going to look into the BIOS and see if it has an option but doing the tuning it seems to be running it like a normal fan.

Its on my desk. Its got air flow enough thru the front, back and top if thats what you were thinkin.

Its prebuilt and I never did remove or mess with the graphics card. It does blow out, I can feel it, just not very strong seems like? Ive read somewhere that people used that top vent for these specific systems but didnt say much if anything other then they put a fan on top. Im not sure where I would put one up front.

*****I just saw this when looking for the case. This is identical to my case. I guess there is room for fans up front. Would this be a good idea? Suggestions on where to get solid fans would help also

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

You really do not need to go overkill on fans; a single 120~140mm fan in the front and a single 120~140mm fan at the top/rear is enough. Front fan should be an intake fan and the top/rear should be exhaust. As for where to purchase, newegg.
    https://www.newegg.com/

12. lynx1021

lynx1021

A lot of people don't realize that with a water cooler or a vertical heat sink (like hyper 212) on the CPU does not cool the surrounding components like voltage regulators like a horizontal heat sink/fan. This means you need more air flow thru the case. Usually from the bottom front to the top back. A side fan can help also. My system temp runs about 27C

13. DigitalBlasphmy

thanks guys, I will purchase a few (not overkill like the video) fans. I usually buy from amazon but newegg is also solid. Suppose I should measure the case to get the right ones.

Also lynx, I didnt think of fans and heat when I bought this rig, figured the makers would have enough in it all ready. Seems everything around the cpu is much warmer, especially the gpu. New fans should solve that!

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

As I said, Ibuypower is NOT noted as being a quality mfg. Just for future reference, IF you do not want to build the system yourself, have a local shop do the build for you.

15. DigitalBlasphmy

yeah my next pc, which will be a while, will be either built by myself or have it done near me

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1212494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice