1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help corrupt windows xp sp2 image. can't start windows

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by damessenga, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. damessenga

damessenga Thread Starter

Help Please!!!

when i try to start my computer I get this error message:

Isass.exe - Bad Image

The application or DLLc:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptdll.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation disket.

I've tried restarting the computer with the cd roms that came with the computer, both in normal start up mode and in safe mode. But I don't know where to begin. I've located the same file - "cryptdll.dll" - on my work computer. It's(work comp.) made by the same company(Dell) and is the same processor. It may be a different model. I'm not near my personal cpu to verify. But both are running on windows xp, though at work it's xp professional. Both have service pack 2 installed. Could I save it to a disk or usb drive and try and start the computer? Will it look for that file and start up? once it does, can I get rid of the corrupt file and replace it with the one from the work computer? How do I go about this or is there another solution. Help!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

That's a virus and you need to boot into safe mode and run some online virus scans:
    www.bitdefender.com is the best place to go....

3. damessenga

I hit F12 (or whatever function key is needed to give you boot options) and there are 3 or 4 options for loading in safemode. I was able to get the desktop to safemode but none of the icons or even the start menu show up for me to do anything other than look at the desktop.

4. win2kpro

win2kpro

Have you tried any restore points in System Restore to see if you can correct the problem?

5. damessenga

It won't let me get that far in. When I start the computer, even in safemode there's an errormessage and the icons on the desktop don't show up, neither does the start menu. Is there a way to get to the system restore points without icons or the start menu?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!