1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help: Corrupted Windows Media Player

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by danwarren, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

Hello there, this is the first time i have posted here, i hope someone can help?

My windows media player (currently WMP 11.0.5721.5145) seems to be in some way corrupted.
    Heres what's wrong.
    1. I can't add files to the library. When adding files nothing appears in the library.
    2. I can't monitor folders. When i choose a folder to monitor it does not add folders to the library, when i go back to add a folder again no folders are listed.
    3. WMP will not recognise my Windows Mobile 5 Device / Storage Card for sync purposes.
    I however can play media files in WMP. When trying the automatic add to library option, nothing is added to the library.

I have searched for help everywhere and nothing has resolved the problem.
    I have tried rolling back to WMP10 only to find the same problem and have also tried fixing the library as detailed in this topic on tech support guy, http://forums.techguy.org/multimedi...-media-player-11-a.html?highlight=wmp+library
    I read on a microsoft knowledge base that programs such as ccleaner (which i have used in the past) may effect WMP registry but offers no way to fix it.
    WMP and activsync works fine on my laptop but this is not where my music is stored and doesn't get used very often (I have tried importing the library to my PC)

Here's some more info:
    WMP 11.0.5721.5145
    ACTIVSYNC 4.5.0 (BUILD 5096)
    PC runs XP SP2

This has had me really frustrated and spending many hours trying to fix it, I really hope some one can help Please?
    Thanks
    Dan

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Hello has it ever worked

3. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

to be honest i don't know. apart from playing the odd file in WMP i have allways used Itunes and Winamp before that. I have never added files to the WMP or needed to until i bought my WM5 device

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

do you get any errors at all

have a look in control panel administrative tools event viewer for any related errors and post them please

5. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

Thanks for helping but i'm not really familiar with the event viewer. I take it i'm looking for system errors when i'm using WMP and adding to the library in event viewer?
    Windows doesn't pop up any errors when WMP is in use.
    Another problem i just noticed is that i can't delete / create playlists in WMP

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Yes its quite easy have a look it might pinpoint the problem

if you have an xp cd you can try

start run sfc /scannow this will repair system files

or
    Also - you could Start > Set Program Access and Defaults > Add and Remove Windows Components, and try to remove and reinstall WMP from there...

7. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

i can't find any related error messages in the event viewer
    I will search for my XP disk and try to fix that way.
    Will get back to you shortly.

Thanks again

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im not sure that error is related .. but i am checking

9. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

i have tried scanning xp disk for components and removing / adding components, neither have fixed the problem.
    i am lost as to what to do now

10. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

did you run start run sfc /scannow ??

11. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

Hi, blackmirror
    yes i did run sfc /scannow. It just scanned for missing components and then finished! no reports or errors or any other info!? I hope i did it right?
    I also tried removing and adding components from the control panel, with no luck.
    Again i uninstalled wmp11 and tried to install wmp10. It won't roll back, when i uninstall it just rolls back to wmp11 with no error messages. When i try to install WMP10 i get an error saying that wmp10 is not compatable with this version of windows?
    This has me really stumped! I'm usually quite good at fixing things myself.
    I'm really hoping i'm not going to have to restore xp on my pc!

thanks for your help
    Dan

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

have you tried in safe mode to reinstall

13. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

yes but i can't get it to work in safe mode and safe mode with command prompt, i get the error:
    WINDOWS FILE PROTECTION CAN NOT INITIATE SCAN ERROR: 0X000006ba [PPC SERVER UNAVAILABLE]

14. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Do you mean you cant get into safe mode or that error happens when you try to uninstall

Go to add/remove programs. Click 'Add/RemoveWindows components'. Scroll down and uncheck 'Update Root Certificates'. Click 'Next. When it finishes, go back and check 'Update Root Certificates' and click 'Next'.

15. danwarren

danwarren Thread Starter

sorry i didn't make it clear. i can run in safe mode but cannot do sfc /scannow , i get the above error
    have done the update root certificate thing

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/582762