1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP crackling sound

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by andypp, Mar 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

fitted a new liteon 16x dvd rom to go with my philips dvd rw dvd 8701 ive got the dvd rw as master and the dvd rom as slave and when i play a dvd in the dvd rom the sound crackles and a bit distorted but when i put the dvd in the dvd rw ithe sound is ok... the pc is a dell dimension 1100 with a celeron d 2.6 gig processor 256 mb of ddr memory 250 w psu didnt install the driver because windows xp reconised it when i used the dvd rom it used most of the cpu usage

2. bonk

bonk Banned

Howdy,

256mb of ram is very low if your running XP

Your Power supply is quite low also for running that many things I would suspect.

Try this test put the DVD ROM on as master and leave the DVD-RW drive disconnected and see if it acts the same.

3. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

one of my friends has got the same set up but its an older pc with a 250w psu and it works ok

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Understood....

Not everybody PC is the same as we all use different programs and use the PC differently.

If your running XP then 256mb memory is the bare minimum.

250W power supply is OK for running the basics...but when adding other things they all take power......

5. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

so it could be the memory then

6. bonk

bonk Banned

Try the test I have mentioned by putting the DVD Rom on as Master and removing the DVD-RW drive and see if you get the same results first.

7. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

put the dvd rom as master on its own and it works ok

8. bonk

bonk Banned

Well I would suggest first I would get some more memory first and then try them both again....either way you will need more memory as at the moment you memory is probably all used up with the operating System.

It could still be the powersupply needing upgrade but I would go memory first...

9. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

ther memory in my pc is ddr 256mb 3200 400mhz cl3 non ecc do i njeed to buy ddr 512mb 3200 400mhz non ecc and can i get it off ebay

10. bonk

bonk Banned

Yes get the same memory...but ebay is alright if it is a reputable source

11. andypp

andypp Thread Starter

12. 713zomp

713zomp

First thing 250 PSU is the absolute minimum for XP anyway so dont worry about that:
    Have you got the
    INTERNAL CD DVD ROM AUDIO CABLE MPC2 to MPC2 connector this basically goes from the Roms to a connection on the absolute your saying the DVD rom is fine its probally because the DVD rom has the MPC2 connector going from it to the absolute try that the MPC2 cables very very very cheap!!!!!!!! There shud be two MPC2 connectors on ur board, Black is for CD and Whites for AUX dosent make a different which is which but plug the DVD RW in AUX (white one)

Try it good luck
    let me know what happens:

Email me: [email protected]

Peace......

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/550554

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice