1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help creating a custom Excel template!

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by kabukibear, May 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kabukibear

kabukibear Thread Starter

Hi, I just thought I'd pose this question, I don't even know if it's possible.

I work at a t-shirt company and we create sheets for each order we do, showing all the sizes for each shirts, their totals, and then under that two pictures, the front of the shirt and the back.

Some of these designs we do quite a bit of and up until now the girl doing these has imported each picture by hand using corel draw and printing it out, and then filling in the totals by hand.

I thought it might be possible to create a template that lets her just type in the numbers of each size shirt that will automatically give her a total and, more importantly, I was hoping there was a way to have her be able to simply type in a letter (our t-shirt fronts are labeled by letter) of the front and have the program automatically put in the picture she was referencing when it prints out. I thought if I told excel where the pictures were and make the letter in that cell reference a specific one it would be possible. I don't know anything about excel, however, so I don't know how to go about doing it.

Is this possible? How would it be done if it is? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Hi there,

This should be possible. Where exactly are the files located and what file types are they? What does you Excel file look like? Can you post a sample?

3. kabukibear

Well the files that would be imported are like jpg and gif files, image files and are located in a folder on her hard drive. I haven't made an excel file because, as I said, I'm new at this. It would be set up like this though...

T-Shirts: Customer________________________________

Total_____ Youth: _______Sm. _______Med. _______Lg.

Total_____ Adult: _______Sm. _______Med. _______Lg.

Adult: _______X-Lg. _______XX-Lg. _______XXX-Lg.

Total_____

Around Front Logo: _________________________________

PICTURE 1 PICTURE 2

SHIP DATE _________________________________________

4. kabukibear

The first total is the total of the youth sizes, the second total is the total of the adult sizes and the final total would be all the sizes added together.

Picture 1 would be the front logo and picture 2 would be the back logo.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Look at this and play around with it and let me know if you want some changes.

Attached Files:

6. kabukibear

This seems to work fine, but what about the picture importing thing? That is the most important, to be honest, and what I have no idea how to do. Is there some sort of formula that would tell excel to grab a picture, like an IF "A" THEN c:/image.jpg or something like that?

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

I don't know of a way except to import the picture each time from the file where they reside. Anyone else?

8. Zack Barresse

Zack Barresse

Yes you can do this. If there aren't a great deal of pictures you could keep them in your Excel file (either insert as shape or create one {from the controls toolbox} and set the picture from file). I don't think you're going to skirt around using VBA though.

Do you have a couple sample pictures and your Excel file created yet?

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again

This really should be done in Access instead of Excel. Is there any particular reason why you are using Excel for this?

Regards,
    Rollin

10. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

I agree with Rollin.
    It would also have the major advantage of keeping Historical order data.
    I have a couple of Excel workbooks that "Show" photos based on their "Location" using VBA as well as numerous Access databases doing the same thing.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/578951

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice