1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help, D drive is unresponsive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bevitt88, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

My D drive does not work all of the sudden for games or cds. I went through all of the microsoft help and nothing worked. Please help!

2. gdi1942

gdi1942

Fist of all can you still see the drive in my computer. Does it try to read the disk or stay dormant when you put it in. Have you tried double clicking the disk in my comptuer or are you just waiting for an autorun.

3. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

Shows no disk and when i click on the drive it says please insert disk

4. norton850

norton850

Go into Device Manager. Is the drive listed as working? If not what is the error message?

5. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

it says this device is woking properly

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Uninstall the drive in Device Manager and reboot to allow Windows to rediscover it. See if that helps.

7. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

already done, that was one of the steps windows help gave me

8. derrickjon

derrickjon

I havent done it in a while, but there is a brand or brands of cd drives that glitch just like that. It usually happens after a windows patch.

You actually have to go in and edit the registry. Again, I have not done this in a while and am not sure where to point you. But have I have had this issue twice and the only was I was able to fix it was by editing a simple line in the registry and I can almost guarantee thats what you will have to do.

If anyone else has experience with this or knows what I am talking about please post. If not I will research it for you.

What is the brand and model# of your system?

If you bought the drive seperately, what is is the brand and model# of your drive?

9. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

Disk drive is stock, My PC is a Dell Dimension 4600. If you or someone else can get more information about that for me I would really appreciate it. Thanks

10. derrickjon

derrickjon

Yeah, its all coming back now. The computer I had issues with this on was also a Dell, and it seems like it is a Dell issue. I had to fix it at least twice by editing the registery. It had something to do with Window's security updates or from installing certain types of Disk Burning programs like Nero, etc.

My guess is you recently installed a new program for burning CDs (or recently removed one that was installed).

Follow these steps to edit your registry and that should fix your problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314060

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320553/

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Same problem here for a work PC (also dell), though I don't think it's a registry / burner issue. We had a power outage, and the cd drive hasn't worked since.

12. derrickjon

derrickjon

I'd still try the registry, it only takes a couple minutes. I'd be surprised if an outage/surge only fried your burner and nothing else, but hey computers never cease to amaze me.

13. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    well it's not that it's fried, just won't see any discs ;)

But I will try it myself in a few.

14. bevitt88

bevitt88 Thread Starter

I tried it, using guided help, deleted upper and lower filters, restarted, and it still doesnt work.
    I hadn't installed or uninstalled any burning software, the drive just quit all the of sudden, seemingly with no reason at all.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591789

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice