1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help d link router and adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by e503, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e503

e503 Thread Starter

2 problems i can tell, but don't knowhow to fix. Yes, I went out and bought a link usb adapter. I still cannot connect the second computer to the internet. It shows it's ip address as something like 169.........not the 192 like on the host. In the events, it did say something about dhcp set that ip.

also, my light on the WAN is not solid. it is flickering off and on very quickly.

what the heck am i doing wrong? Also, on my guest computer, it says something about not getting the signal. so, i am totally clueless about how to configure the router. Can anyone help?
    thanks,
    elise

p.s. if it matters, i have adelphia cable modem. Can I set it up as a static ip, or does it have to be a dynamic ip, which it is. HELP

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Didn't we tell you in another post to buy a real Network Interface Card.

3. e503

e503 Thread Starter

but I don't know how to install it......I don't think it has to do with being a USB adapter. If so, I certainly will exchange it....I think it has to do with how I configured the router. The adapter is installed, just can't get any signals from the router. Maybe I am wrong and I'll exchange it, but I wanted to try to do it myself and TONIGHT!!!!!

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I doubt it is a router problem if one computer can get on but another one cannot. Usually when you are getting a 169 address, it is usually a bad adapter or cable.

5. e503

e503 Thread Starter

that the host computer can get online. The one the router is hooked up to which is hooked up to the cable modem can get online. There are no other computers that are hooked up to the network. So if that's the case, does it still mean it's an adapter problem???? I think that the configurations are wrong, but not being an expert, I can be wrong. I have hooked up this computer to the network before (the one with the adapter) with an adapter (my old belkin adapter), but that was before I had cable. Please let me know your thoughts before I return it today.
    elise

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/170356

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice