1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help damage sd card! some loose chip connection in my sd card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jaytab, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jaytab

jaytab Thread Starter

When I plug my sd card to my card reader, (that only half get inserted), I bent my card because of the cheap plastic made by patriots, so some of the connection of black chip to the board came off. I know coz I open it, and check what happen. Please Help, I have a lot of photos and videos I did for work that I need to retrieve. What can I do or where to bring it to assess it?

Attached Files:

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi jaytab, and welcome to TSG.

Try checking if you have any local companies that offer a printed circuit board assembly service for boards with surface mount parts. They would typically have a rework station where they might be able to resolder the ICs to your board for a nominal fee. They may not be able to guarantee that resoldering the part will give you a working memory card as the bending of the board may have fractured an internal copper trace in the board or a trace under the IC.

3. jaytab

jaytab Thread Starter

Thank you cwwozniak, I was hoping that pc board is not the problem. Do you know if I could switch that chip to a different pc board? like if buy a new sd card and remove the chip and replace it with mine will it work? Just in case soldering it won't work?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    You would probably need to replace all of the chips on an identical new board with all of the chips from the old board. Your data is most likely spread across all of the memory chips (if more than one is used on the board) and a management chip may be storing configuration information for exactly where your data files are stored in the memory chips.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1087241

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice