1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Help dell Inspiron n5010 hdd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yingchao, Oct 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

My dell Inspiron n5010 keeps on going in startup repair loop. Upon running dell diagnostic found
    Hard drive error code 0142 , status 70..
    Please note I can still see files in my hard drive using command prompt.

I do understand though the error code means hdd is faulty but Is THERE ANY way I can copy all that data in DVD or any other way around this issue..
    Any help appreciated, as I have so many important files and photos which I don't want to lose .

2. Sponsor

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You didn't say which Windows version is running in that laptop, and I'm not there to see it, but it sounds like its operating system is damaged or its hard drive is failing.
    If those files and photos are that important to you, they should've already been backed up, and there should've been 2 backup copies.
    I have no idea how you can access and retrieve your files and photos via a command prompt, so I'll leave you to those here who may be able to help you.

---------------------------------------------------------------

4. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

It's running Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I'm guessing you have a Dell Inspiron 15 N5010 laptop.
    What's the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on yours?

--------------------------------------------------------------

6. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

37182N1

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You have THIS Dell Inspiron 15 N5010 laptop.
    It originally shipped in January 2011 in the U.K. and came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
    Because of its age(almost 7 years old), Dell no longer provides the recovery install media for it.
    It can be purchased HERE, but I don't believe that company ships to the U.K..

8. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

I have dell factory restore option available but only thing iam worried about is the data.
    I will have to buy new laptop anyway due to hard disk seems faulty in this one.
    Can hard disk be removed and connected to other device for data transfer?

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Okay, that's good. You didn't mention it earlier. Hopefully, it's still intact and functional.
    Yes, that can be done. It's something that I've never done though, so someone else here will need to advise you how to do it.

10. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

Great! Thanks for your efforts

11. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    You're welcome. :)
    Good luck with recovering your personal data and getting that laptop working again. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------

12. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You will need an adapter cable to connect the laptop's hard drive to another computer's Usb port. If the drive is still working well enough you can then copy files from it onto the other computer's hard drive. (and then back them up as Frank advised to at least 2 other places !).

Ebay has plenty of these adaptor cables, this is the cheapest I could find, just £2.36, if they've sold out just search for the same type :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB2-0-SA...125127?hash=item58fe648f07:g:K0kAAOSwdzVXmJHe

Usually you just need to plug in the Usb connector with 2 cables going into it, the other Usb connector is used to supply extra power to the drive if it doesn't work with just that one plugged in.

13. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

14. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

Thankyou very much for your help. Will definitely try that and keep updated here.

15. DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

You're welcome.

16. Yingchao

Yingchao Thread Starter

Hi guys iam back again,
    Have taken the HDD out and managed to recover all the data using sata usb cable, into my friend's PC.
    Have a quick question.

If I install a new HDD , then how do I go about installing OS as I don't have any installation CD/DVD?

17. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1197412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice