Help Desk Software -- Recommendations?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MsPCGenius

Our IS department uses an old DOS Btrieve application (SupportMagic) to log and follow-up on internal Help Desk calls. We will be looking for a replacement in the next quarter and I would love to hear from some of you what applications you are using at your places of business. If you've got a vendor contact name/number, please include so that I might illicit a quote from them.

The application should be able to interface with an Exchange server.

Thanks!!!! :)

I've used TrackIt! (small and not feature rich but could do the job), Onyx which is more of a Customer Management suite, and an old dos based one (btrieve also) that was simply one of our apps 'tweaked'. I LOVED Onyx. I don't know how large you need the program to be and if other department would utilize it (Sales, etc) but I think it's a huge benefit for mid to large companies.

[edit - oops, I guess Onyx doesn't make sense here since they are internal customers. Oh ya, and TrackIt! is from <a href="http://www.blueocean.com/">Blue Ocean Software</a>.)

Leslie,
You don't mention what size operation you have but at our mid-size software company we had to design our own.
We looked at a number of applications and found that most were for enterprise level use and very overpriced.
One of our college interns produced a Visual Basic program that works well and ties in with our existing internal MS Access data base.
We also have a Folio data base for our solutions and tech data (we produce research CDs using Folio so this was a small step).
The beauty of it is that it is customized and we can get changes done in hours to our specs (or run down the hall and choke the crap out of the programmer).

If your Support Magic is made by Magic Solutions Inc., they did come out with a Windows version. I still have the binder on my desk, threw out the contents but kept the binder.

Regards,
Roger

Anne Troy

Anne
There's an Access database helpdesk out there too, and it looked pretty cool to me when I took it for a test drive (our is in-house in Paradox and we're moving to a fairly expensive Windows-based program that I already think sucks after having done testing--you can't use it without a mouse!). I found it by searching yahoo for "access database". If you need help, I'll see if I can't find it again.

In my organisation, we started out with local support organisations in each country (4-20 engineers) and a self-made program.

When we integrated the teams worldwide (hundreds of engineers), we switched to Clarify. Very powerfull, but probably not the cheapest solution

MsPCGenius

Thanks for the input. To answer your questions, our organization (local area hospital) has approximately 500 PC users, some of which use emulation software to get to our AS/400; some which are attached to third party peripheral devices. All questions/problems/issues regarding hardware, software, AS/400 and/or telecommunications are directed to our Help Desk. The calls are monitored by approximately 12 Information Systems staff members. The logged calls are then grouped by topic and handled by the appropriate staff member. The application is used to note all activity done on the request and thus becomes the history/tracking of work completed.

We have no in-house programmers so we must look to over-the-counter products. At this time, only IS staff members have the ability to log calls although we do allow users to send email to a 'Help Desk' mailbox and we then cut/paste the request into Magic. Ultimately we will probably open up that access and allow users to log their own calls and check status.

I am pursuing a quote from Magic for upgrading to their Windows version and I found another company, HelpStar, when searching the net (they are sending me a demo).

Will look into all that you suggest as well... :) Thanks!

I have worked for a teleconferencing company for a year in their tech support department. When I first arrived they were just implementing trackit. Let me say that we are not impressed with it. Mainly because of the quality of reports. We are a medium sized company and have a pretty high call colume coming through our help desk. Track it just is not the way to go if you are looking for quality information in reports.
We are now looking into Heat.

I'm so glad I found all of your comments - I've been evaluating Track-It! and based on some of the feedback I've found, went back into the fray.

I've come up with SupportDesk by House-on-the-Hill and Close Support - both of which I like very much - especially the price tags since our budget is small. We had been using Q&A which was the technological equivalent of taking a bath in burning oil.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these products? My CIO is just not ready to pop for a basic Heat implementation right now.

Thank you all.:D

Betsy,

I looked at Close Support and really like it.
We use a similiar program that we developed in-house.
We are a small, 50 person, software company that uses MS Access for our customer data base. The Close Support would let us tie into our existing data base.

They also have the best price that I have seen. Most of the programs out there are for enterprise level and in the $5,000 range.

You didn't mention whether you will be using the program for internal Help Desk support or for customer Tech Support but I think it should work for either.

Regards,
Roger

The only program I know of in this category is made by Ehelp. And I only know about because they were on the first floor of this building I was working in and I was working on the third floor. Maybe this may help.
-Peter

We purchased amberCat Help Desk Plus back in January and implemented using the SQL db option. I like it quite a bit - for 15 licensed users and unlimited Web users we paid about 2800 including a year of support. The product is fairly flexible (although there are some labels using British terms that we can't edit), and the Web interface is in ASP and very editable.

I am quite pleased with the product - especially in regard to the price and the support. They're at amberCat.com.

There are many out there for free that are web based an very excellent to use/install. You should check out sourceforge.net for CRM's or do a search for CRM or Help Desk...you'll find MANY free solutions.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online