1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Desktop turns on and restarts repeatedly, other turns on to black screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cvocvo, Dec 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cvocvo

cvocvo Thread Starter

Hi,
    I'm having trouble with two of my desktops.
    Desktop #1 Problem:
    When all cords and such are plugged in, I press the power button. The desktop turns on for about 1-2 seconds and then restarts. The bios doesn't flash, the os doesn't boot. As far as I can tell the desktop restarts indefinitely. Any ideas what's going on here?
    --Desktop Type: HP Pavilion a705W
    I found someone with a similar problem here

Desktop #2 Problem:
    I bought some 3M Dust Remover a few days ago. I disconnected power, along with everything else, from a desktop of mine. Pulled the cover off and started blowing the dust out of the case. I put everything back together, plugged it in, and the desktop doesn't work. It boots to a blank screen with the the power and hard drive led's stuck on, on the front of the desktop. The led on the back of the power supply turns on, I can hear the hard drive spin up, it detects the cd/dvd drives, floppy drive and then just hangs with the led's stuck on. Anyone have an idea what might be going on here?
    --Desktop Type: Compaq Presario S4200NX

Thanks for the help, I'm hoping to get atleast one of these back online w/o buying a whole new desktop.
    -Chris

2. pinntech

pinntech

Hi….

Desktop 1:

Do you see anything on your screen at all while this is happening?

Have you tried to press the setup key to see if the BIOS will come up and make changes?

Do you have any USB devices (other than keyboard or mouse) hooked up? If so, try disconnecting them and see if it will at least POST or attempt to go into the OS.

WARNING: Before checking the capacitors, disconnect the power cord on your system and press & hold the POWER button to allow the power to discharge! Also, you should always ground yourself before touching computer components to prevent static discharge!

Just FYI, some of the motherboards in this series of HP’s have issues with the capacitors.

You should take a look at the capacitors to see if the tops of them are raised or discolored. Also, if you put your finger on the top of the capacitors, they should feel as if they are INDENTED and not flush or raised. Raising or discoloration (up to and including a black tar looking substance on the tops indicate a leaking capacitor).

Desktop 2:

Any POST sounds (beeps) produced at all?

Have you tried the monitor from Desktop 1 on this one?

Anything at all displayed on the monitor, to include CHECK CABLE message?

Recommendation: Open the case again and ensure that all the cards, memory, drive cables and so forth are all connect properly and not loose or dislodged.

Do you know how to RESET your BIOS to default using the onboard jumpers?

Here is a detailed link on troubleshooting this issue:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&rule=4566&lang=en

Thanks and keep us up-to-date!

Shane

Found another good link:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...788&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=338684&lang=en

3. Chris A

Chris A

Wow. That is a mess.
    I would take both of these computers down to the bare esentials. Video card and memory. Reseat the memory in both of them. Video is integrated on both of them. Make sure the CPU fans are spining.

First one sounds like bad memory or motherboard.

Sorry not much help...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/666195

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice