1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Do I need to BLOCK my Pop-Up Blocker???

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by soulsiren, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soulsiren

soulsiren Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

I haven't seen this issue addressed anywhere else on here so....

A few days ago, I downloaded the newest version of Shockwave at the behest of some game-oriented website I was visiting. Shortly thereafter, I noticed that windows that normally pop up when I initiate certain functions (i.e. chat, streaming video, etc.) were failing to do so. I will get a message saying "a pop-up window was blocked."

So, I immediately deleted all files I could find related to Shockwave...but I'm still having the problem with the "desired" pop-up windows being blocked.

Is there an easy way to find that stinker and get rid of it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
    ~Allen

2. Borhan

Borhan

hi.....if u want to enable the popup blocked by windows pop up blocker you can click on the bar and press allow pop up ..........not all pop up are bugging some of them which be in the respictable companies are trusted and some of them is must needed to complete some operations

3. soulsiren

soulsiren Thread Starter

I don't think this is a Windows issue....I haven't changed any of my internet settings anytime recently. Just in case it is, though, where would I find this "bar" of which you speak?

I'm in XP, btw...

Thanks!

4. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy soulsiren, Have you downloaded SP2 by any chance? It has an inbuilt popupblocker and firewall built in and I assume you have to look under internet security to get round it. I am unsure if it is under Tools/Internet options or control panel. Depends on if you have the SP2 download. Then it is a slightly different kettle of fish!

5. Borhan

Borhan

hi,

i was talking about the built in windows popup blocker which come with Sp2
    , which it display a bar -under address- bar telling you he blocked popup
    also you can access it's options from control panel===>network and internet connections=====>internet options=====>privacy tab.

6. preet_kumar

preet_kumar

In windows-xp SP2, click on tools in the internet explorer; high light popup blocker and then you can click on 'turn off popup blocker'. When you leave the site where you want the popups, you can turn on the popup blocker the same way that you turned it off.

Preet

7. soulsiren

soulsiren Thread Starter

Okay guys....there is absolutely NOTHING under Tools/Internet Options that mentions the word "popup" or "blocker"...and believe me I've been looking. Nor do I find anything like that under the control panel. I think this is some software that somehow snuck onto my computer and now I have no idea where to find it!

8. Borhan

Borhan

hey you must install windows service pack 2 to see this options if you didn't install it you will see nothing..............before sp2 there is nothing to stop pop-ups from annoying you except independents software.check that you may have a software from this type.

9. pfurball

pfurball

Howdy soulsiren,
    Look in control panel/add/remove programmes and see if there is a popup blocker installed there. Other wise, it is usually under tools on your browser window if it has come in by SP2.Do you use any "google toolbars" for an example? or mywebsearch or something like that? They also may include a popup blocker and you have to have a real good look at all the features.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275543

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice