1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP! Downloaded IE 6.0 need 128 bit

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bampeb4u, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bampeb4u

bampeb4u Thread Starter

I have installed a new 40 gig hard drive and put in Windows Me
    haven't been able to get on Hotmail since and I keep getting (The Page cannot be displayed) I tried to do what it said and that didnt work I have tried to finish downloading 6.0 and it stops at 63% so I have never finished the download and it shows in IE, Help, About Internet Explorer, Cipher Strength 0 bit What to do I am pulling hair out as I type now been tryin to set my banking back up and keep running into this problem
    Very Frustrated

2. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

3. rhettman5

rhettman5

Bampeb, I don't have the answer you want, but I know some of the questions the gurus who hang out here are going to ask!
    So,
    #1 What was it it told you to do?
    #2 Can you go back to your previous version of I/E ?
    #3 Have you run the I/E repair tool?

Try to be a little more specific and there will be people here to help ! Welcome to the site ! ...Rhett

PS, I tried your link Russell and it is no good, check the url, and edit :)...Rhett

4. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Thanks for the message on the link - I copied and pasted it - don't know why it didn't work. Well I will just tell you what the Microsoft website said about the problem.

You can go to http://www.microsoft.com in the Search box type in Q261328. It will find the page I am about to explain to you.

SYMPTOMS
    When you click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu, the cipher strength entry may be "0 Bit" and you may be unable to connect to secure Web sites.

CAUSE
    This issue can occur if the Schannel.dll, Rsabase.dll, or Rsaenh.dll files are absent, damaged, or the wrong version.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this issue, use the appropriate method.

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition (Me)
    Start the computer in Safe mode.

Click Start , click Run , and then type msconfig .

Extract the following files from the Windows Me cab files located at Windir \Options\Install (or the location of a Windows Me flat) into the windir \system folder:

Rsabase.dll
    Rsaenh.dll
    Schannel.dll
    Verify the version of Windir \System\Advapi32.dll, and if the file is not at least 4.90.0.3000, extract a new copy from Windir \Options\Install into the windir \system folder.

Re-register each of these three .dll files. To do so, click Start , click Run , and then type the following commands (where windir is the name of your Windows folder):

regsvr32 windir \system\schannel.dll
    regsvr32 windir \system\rsabase.dll
    regsvr32 windir \system\rsaenh.dll
    Restart the computer in Normal mode. Internet Explorer should now display 128-bit cipher strength.

For additional information about how to extract files with the System Configuration Utility tool, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    Q265371 How to Extract and Replace a Protected File in Windows Me
    Microsoft Windows 95, Microsoft Windows 98, Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition
    In the Windir \system folder rename the following files:

Rsabase.dll to Rsabase.old
    Rsaenh.dll to Rsaenh.old
    Schannel.dll to Schannel.old
    Download and install, or reinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.5 SP1 from the following Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie
    NOTE :You cannot download the 128 bit encryption from the site if you have 5.5 installed.

Instead you need to run the file "ie501dom.exe" located in the "C:\Windows Update Setup Files" folder. You may need to first reinstall IE 5.5.

Restart your computer. Internet Explorer should now display 56-bit cipher strength.

Download and install the Microsoft Internet Explorer High Encryption Pack for Internet Explorer 5.01 for Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows NT 4.0 from the following Web site:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/download/128bit/intro.htm
    If you access the above Web site by using any version of Internet Explorer later than version 5.01, you may receive a message stating that downloading this Encryption Pack is not necessary. Please disregard this message.

Restart your computer. Internet Explorer should now display 128-bit cipher strength.

NOTE : In addition, if you restore to 128-bit cipher strength, and you are still unable to view secure sites, check under Advanced tab in the Internet Options and make sure SSL2.0 and SSL3.0 are checked. If not checked, they will be unable to browse to secure sites.

5. rhettman5

rhettman5

Good job Russell,
    and late at night!
    See you are relatively new, yet obviously have been around ,"thumbs up"..Rhett

6. 4 Computer Fix

4 Computer Fix

Thanks rhettman5!! Appreciate the compliment. I'm just on here trying to help as I work on some computers I have here in the shop (I get bored late at nights but I know you couldn't tell that LOL). Thanks again and am glad I found this site.

PS My new life's ambission is to be a senior member. :D

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60380

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice