1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Email Attachment taking over Word

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Mekara, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mekara

Mekara Thread Starter

I stupidly forwarded some sort of Word generated chainmail to my mother (she's very pissed at me right now). One of those that asks what's your favourite number, now scroll down..don't peek ahead kind. She has Windows XP and uses Word for her home business. Her email saved the attachment somewhere she can't find..possibly in a settings file. She lives on a different island then I, so until this weekend I can't look at it myself.

I can't see her saving the attachment, she's very wary of this type of mail. Most attachments are quarantined by her computer...could this be the problem?

Everytime she opens Word to create an invoice, this damn attachment takes over. Swears she can't delete it...I appreciate any help. Thank you.

2. zahrav

zahrav

uh oh...what have u done :eek:
    well - can u locate the file...if she recently opened it in word, expand the File menu and see if it shows up.
    or go to start > my recent documents
    and see if it comes up there...thats one way u can find out.

if u can find it in the list then hopefully u will be able to delete it!

3. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sounds like the attachment has saved itself as the "normal.dot" file.
    Then it becomes the template for all new files, so appears everytime Word is run.

Simple cure.
    With Word closed, search for and find all occurrences of "normal.dot" There will be at least one.
    It's a hidden or system file, so make sure that you have enabled these to be found in the search.

When Word next runs and finds no "normal.dot" it will recreate a new clean one with normal Word defaults.

4. Mekara

Mekara Thread Starter

I love this website! I've forwarded both suggestions to my mother. Hopefully, the penance during our weekend visit won't involve too much kow towing.

5. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Sorry, I forgot to make it clear that you must delete "normal.dot"

I would be 98% certain that this is the cause.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice