1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

help..email woes

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by doobie3711, Jan 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doobie3711

doobie3711 Thread Starter

help email woes...whenever I try to email my friend a error message comes back "permanent fatal error message may contain the goner worm". I can email other people and she can receive email and send email but I cant email her...she has done a virus scan and all is okay...any ideas what we can do????:(

BY THE WAY MY FRIEND HAS DOWNLOADED THE FIX GONER PGM AND IT SAYS WORM NOT FOUND ON COMPUTER....

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

unfortunately sounds like you've infected your PC.

check here
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/[email protected]
    --------------------------------------------

F-Secure Virus Descriptions

NAME: Goner
    ALIAS: W32/[email protected], I-Worm.Goner, Gone, Pentagone, Pentagon

Goner is a mass-mailer written in Visual Basic. It was found on December 4th, 2001.

NOTE: Although many other anti-virus companies rank Goner to their highest risk level, F-Secure is still maintaining this virus at F-Secure Radar Level 2.

The data we have on this virus currently does not justify ranking it higher; we've received only limited out of samples of the virus from the field, the virus is not destructive in nature and it is very obvious for the user to spot and avoid.

The worm spreads itself using Outlook e-mail messages as GONE.SCR attachment. It also spreads through ICQ Instant Messanger if it's installed on an infected computer. It also drops a few scripts to MIRC client directory. These scripts can be used to flood certain IRC chat channels.

Goner also tries to delete security programs, such as firewalls and anti-virus programs from the system. Although this sounds serious, it doesn't actually help the spreading of the virus much: the virus can only delete security programs if it is able to execute itself; thus the security program was not able to stop Goner anyway, and deleting such programs doesn't help the virus. This technique does make the system more vulnerable to OTHER viruses and threats, though.

The worm is a PE EXE file about 39 kilobytes long, it is packed with UPX file compressor. The worm's unpacked file is about 145 kilobytes long.

When the worm's file is run, it shows a dialog box with greetings and some animation. This is done to disguise itself. Then it shows a messagebox with a fake error message:

3. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

doobie was you able to fix this problem?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64923

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice