1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help! Fan Speed Suddenly Running High Tests All Pass

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GeorgeAW, Mar 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GeorgeAW

GeorgeAW Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 830 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 7927 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4200, 256 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 941817 MB, Free - 891511 MB; D: Total - 11753 MB, Free - 1432 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2A92
    Antivirus: GFI Software VIPRE, Disabled

Hi, Anyone!

I am running an HP Pavilion p6540f. Two weeks ago, I started up my computer, and suddenly my cooling fans (all 3 of them) started up at high speed and never ratcheted down to their normal or lower speeds. I have already done the following to no avail:

1. I ran System Tests to try and determine if I had a software or hardware problem. All tests results PASSED.
    2. I downloaded and ran SpeedFan 4.47 and received what appeared to be a High temperature reading on one of the fans at 127 degrees C. It's the CPU fan.
    3. I called HP Tech Support to get help and found out that I'm out of warranty, but they were happy to tell me that my PC probably only needed tweaking from one of their techs they wanted to schedule to come out and service the machine for $200.00. But if the problem was a hardware issue, it would then cost more on top of the $200.00. I told them I'd get back to them.
    4. I downloaded and ran PC Wizard and on checking the Thermal Tests run by that program it gave me back a report result saying my AMD Phenom II x4 processor was showing temps of 255.9C in each of my 4 cores.

I am now throwing myself on the grace and mercy of whomever might be willing and able to walk me through this scenario to try and isolate my problem.
    I am not exceptionally tech oriented, but I'm a good student and have been able to fix some things in other computers I've had in the past without getting the "rip" from the Manufacturers.

Any Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. NegativeKelvin

NegativeKelvin

Uh, I think your processors might be overloaded, as 255.9C is way over the temperature of boiling water... Don't ask HP about it, ask AMD, they are the manufacturers of the processors. HP only assembles parts.

3. dai

dai

that reading would indicate that pcwizard is not reading the sensors

see what this gives you

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

power supply

make
    model
    wattage

4. GeorgeAW

GeorgeAW Thread Starter

Thanks for the alternative check.
    I ran the CoreTemp utility and all readings appear normal. Tj.Max: 70C, CPU#0: 20C.

My fans are still running at their highest speed. Can anyone tell me how to determine what the issue may be? Can I adjust the speed? Is it a software glitch, or hardware problem?

I have started Windows in Safe-Mode and the problem with the fans running at high speed is immediate. No change using Safe-Mode.

Please advise!

5. dai

dai

check for a setting in the bios

6. GeorgeAW

GeorgeAW Thread Starter

I'll be pleased to check for a setting in the BIOS, but as I stated earlier, I am not a "whiz" at this stuff and don't really know what I'm looking for in the BIOS. I do know that searched the BIOS previously for anything Fan related (like a HW heading) and my BIOS does NOT have any such choice available. Can you help me by being more specific with what to look for and then what to do if I find it?

7. dai

dai

i cannot find a manual to look for it on mine it is in the pc health section

but brand names usually have their own version of the bios and some things are not there or hidden from the user

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1092837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice