1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

HELP Faulty Hard drive??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lars7485, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lars7485

lars7485 Thread Starter

Ok, so the other day, my external hard drive fell to the ground and I could not get it to turn back on. I tried again yesterday with no success. I ordered a SATA hard drive enclosure thinking it was just the hardware in my external hard drive that was bad. Well I went and plugged it into a SATA enclosure and all I get is 5 beeps as if its trying but nothing ends up happening....is it possible that the hard drive itself is done??? I have tons and tons of stuff on there that I cannot lose...Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    It is possible that the fall damaged the hard drive read/write heads, the hardware that positions the heads, and/or possibly the disc surfaces as well. This is particularly true if the drive was powered up at the time of the fall.

If this is true, it will cost you big bucks to have a data recovery company take the drive apart and attempt to recover all or some of data from the the disc platters.

3. lars7485

lars7485 Thread Starter

Well isnt that good news! I honestly dont remember if it was powered up at the time. And there is obviously nothing I can do to recover it myself?

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Any DIY attempt to recover the data would still cost you some money and would not guarantee any success. You could also end up damaging the platters further, making professional recovery impossible.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083365

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice