1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help finding fonts website..

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by KaIIen, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

I used to know this site that had TONS of free fonts. What was unique about this site was that you could choose the font you were interested in, and it would let you type in whatever you wanted to see what it would look like before you downloaded it....
    I am designing a website and want some different font....thanks for your help!

2. namenotfound

namenotfound

dafont.com

3. dez_666

dez_666

is it true that fonts on websites wont work if the client machien doesnt have the font?

4. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

Yes. So if you want a specific font to be displayed, one way to do it is to create an image of the text (using a photo editor such at photoshop etc) and uploading as a image. But this is only effective for things such at titles/headers, not for the text body...

5. KaIIen

KaIIen Thread Starter

This isn't the same site, but this is pretty much what I wanted. Thank you!!!

6. face1

face1

I have mentioned this before in this forum and many have come forward with caveats, however, in my experience WEFT http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/weft3/ works fairly well. I have used it on a few sites just to test it in different browsers and have not found any real issues as of yet.
    Look here http://www.countrysidechristiancenter.org/events.htm the "Coming to..." text at the top of the page is an embedded font named Maiandra. This font lives on most windows computers, so for testing, I removed it and it still loaded properly.
    I have seen a few sites that make heavy use of WEFT tool for font embedding, but lack of mass usage of what seems to be a cool tool makes me question, in spite of my personal experience, what the issues are.
    Give it try...it's free...easy...and seems to work, at least in IE, Netscape, & Mozilla. I am not sure of compatabilty with Macs & Linux systems.

7. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    FWiW: Looks like the font is not part of Windows but is part of certain MS-Office installations. Office 2007 does not appear to be on the list (could be an old list that hasn't been updated).

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/fonts/font.aspx?FID=118&FNAME=Maiandra+GD&FVER=1.76

Maiandra GD, Maiandra GD Demi Bold, Maiandra GD Italic
    Products: Access 97 SR2, Greetings 99, Home Publishing 99, Office 2000 Premium, Office 97 Small Business Edition SR2, Office 97 SR1a, Office Professional Edition 2003, PhotoDraw 2000, Picture It! 2000, Picture It! 2002, Picture It! 98, Publisher 2000, Publisher 97, Publisher 98

8. face1

face1

my bad,
    ... my original illustration for this point is that th WEFT tool seems to work and display this font on computers where this font is not installed.

9. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I wouldn't be too sure about that. WEFT may only be supported in Internet Explorer. I have the Maiandra fonts installed on my Windows XP Home box. The "Coming to ..." line seemed to use the font in Firefox 2.0.0.3. Then I renamed the Maiandra font files by adding an "X" to the file name. When I reloaded the page, the displayed font switched switched to some basic sans-serif font.

10. Don Felipe

Don Felipe

My favorite site for free fonts is:
    www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts.html
    They say there are 6500 free fonts available, and you see a preview of each.
    I have used it many times, and it is a simple download.
    Also, you could try:
    www.1001freefonts.com
    Again, you see a preview, but not as many available.
    Hope this helps.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/592327

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice