1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help Finding mb replacement!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tonysou, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

I have a sony Pcv-rs422x that has a bad bm. I recently had it short out by having the ram not properly inserted.. I know the pc is too old to mess around with. Or spend crazy amount to upg. But it has sentimental values. All I wanna do is replace the mb and perhaps a little more features that could replace the old. Perhaps even the same one. I am having a hard time finding a replacement that would fit.. Can anyone help me find a mb for this old Ford Mustang of a pc I have! :)

2. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    How old is this computer?Motherboards can be very expensive to replace sometimes. if the computer is really old it might not be worth putting all of that money into it.If you cant find a board that will fit that might be a clue that the computer is old and that parts for it are going to be hard to find.We all have computers that we love and dont want to get rid of them and see them go but sometimes it happens.Only you can decide if its worth fixing or not or if you can even find parts for it.Ive had to salvage several of my favorite computers because to fix them i could of bought a brand new computer for what it would of cost and i did just that.

3. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

You may be better off buying a barebone kit that you can move most of your hardware into. The cost may be about the same as a plain board, and you may even be able to upgrade. You can get a really good one in the $300 range.

Like these:
    AMD
    Intel

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

It is more than just replacing the mb. With a big box system, you are going to have to purchase a new copy of windows as well. Unless you replace the board with the same mb from sony OR whatever board sony designates as the replacement board, the oem copy of windows is not legal to install.

In addition many big box systems use proprietary mb; ie the board is made to sony's specs and not industry standard specs. A replacement board may or may not fit in the case, pci slots line up, etc.

In short, a system this old is not worth repairing unless you can do it for nothing or very close to nothing.

6. tonysou

tonysou Thread Starter

I like that idea from Alvindil.. Perhaps u can send me a link of some that would fit? I'm really lost in this department.. Sry for my noobish knowledge.. I know there's a lot to choose from. I just need 1 example and I can kinda go off from there. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025296

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice