Help Fixing exe/lnk association

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

cjallyson

Just tried updating Norton to 2006, and now every exe file I have on my computer has become an lnk file. Have tried running the fix from dougknox.com, and tried changing regedit.exe to regedit.com in command prompt mode.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!! :)

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Don't know what to say. If the exe reg fix didn't work, I would say do a System Restore.

Did you run the exe fix or the lnk fix or both?

You must run the LNK fix to repair the problem.

You can use regedit to IMPORT the fix if necessary.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
When you installed it, there was a "prescan" that ran. The results are in your Temp folder called "prescan.log".

Can you see if you can open and look at the contents?

cjallyson

I tried doing a system restore, but my computer will not run the system restore program (asks me what to open it up with).

I can't run either the LNK fix or the EXE fix - my computer doesn't recognize the .reg files. I got the System Registry open with the regedit.com method, but when I go to import, it says that the file wasn't copied completely (and I have tried copying it manually into notepad, and downloading from various sources online and none have worked).

I am on a different computer right now, but when I get back to my other one, will try to open the prescan log; I will post it here if I am able to open it to see if that will be of any help. Thanks!! :)

You may have a very badly damaged registry.

Can you load the Recovery Console? Normally this requires the Windows CD, but you can also create a bootable CD to do it using Elvandil's .iso file here:

http://forums.techguy.org:80/t395729&highlight=recovery+console.html

Once you load the Recovery Console, you need to follow the instructions in this document Fully. That means Parts one, two, and three:

http://attachments.techguy.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=62075

If you do that you will have effectively done a System Restore.

WhitPhil

Gone but never forgotten
Trusted Advisor
cjallyson said:
I got the System Registry open with the regedit.com method, but when I go to import, it says that the file wasn't copied completely
Rename the Lnk Fix REG file to be a TXT file (ie change the extension) and post the file here for review.
At least we can confirm that the file "looks" correct.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online