1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help for HTPC build.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gollum456, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gollum456

gollum456 Thread Starter

Hi all, my PC (10 year old lol) has finally given up the ghost, so I have decided to build a HTPC which will sit in my TV cabinet as a replacement. I only want it for internet browsing, streaming video's and pictures from my phone and to play Blu-ray discs.
    I do however want some degree of future proofing so I don't want to go cheapest of the cheap. Before I post what I came up with using PC parts picker, I would appreciate it if you could answer some questions I have:-

1) Intel i3 or i5? will a top end i3 processor be sufficient or is it worth the extra £40 or so for a lower end i5?

2) Am I better off with a cheaper mobo with a dedicated graphics card and sound card or a Intel H67 mobo that can do it all?

3) Should i have a separate HDD for operating system and one for storage?

4) If the answer to (3) is yes, should I use a SSD for operating system? If so why?

5) If I get a 1 TB HDD do I need to partition it? If yes, why?

This is all I can think of at the moment lol. :) My builds with slight variations are here - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/gollum456/saved/#savedbuild_989646

Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. gollum456

gollum456 Thread Starter

Forgot to add, I will be using windows 7 but have not included it here as I will be getting it from work with staff discount.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The "Onboard" video is now on chip video; ie it is part of the processor. If you are going to use this, then get a good quality i5. The video is better with the higher end cpus.
    Cheap mb are like buying a cheap car; you are asking for problems. Recommended brands either asus or gigabyte.
    That is the way most htpc are setup. On mine, I use a smaller raptor drive for the system and a large hard disk for movies.
    Up to you. How fast do you want the system to be? A ssd speeds up boot times, program load times, etc.
    ALL drives have at least one partition so your answer is yes, you need to create at least one partition IF you want to use the drive. Up to you if you want more than one. IMO partitioning a data drive into more than one partition is useless.

4. gollum456

gollum456 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply. So you think the i5 integrated graphics is sufficient for blu-ray movie playback. Can you suggest a mobo that has HDMI out? The ones I see are £80 plus. I was thinking of getting a mono about £50 and then adding a graphics card. For two reasons, 1) it is upgradable and 2) I'll be freeing up CPU power......... Or won't it make a difference?

My build so far is as follows:-
    Intel core i3 3250 3.5ghz
    Intel DH67BLB3 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory
    Sandisk 64GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (for o/s)
    Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (for storage)
    Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 (Black) HTPC Case
    Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
    Pioneer BDC-207DBK Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer
    TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter

Thank you again.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

The onchip video is fine IF you get a decent i5 such as a 3570 or faster. If you want to go with a low end cpu, then get a real video card. Remember htpc cases often do NOT have much room so you have to be sure you can in fact install a video card.
    Here is a mb with hdmi out; http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131836

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1123090

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice