1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Help for keeping computer clean of virus's & spy-ware

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by WindyOne, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WindyOne

WindyOne Thread Starter

Hi there ;)

I am very new here,,,,but I thought I would post how I keep my computer clean,,I have never had a virus,,,,& spy-ware is a thing of the past,,nor do I have blue screens or freeze ups,,so it might help,,

Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 2

Intel(R)
    Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40Hz
    2.39 GHz, 512 MB of RAM
    before doing anything....
    De-frag,,,,click on my computer,,,right click Local Disk ,,,click properties,,,click tools,,click defragmentation,,,,,<this will take a long time the first time is done>,,,also from the tools choose Error-Checking,,This takes quite a while,,I usually do once a month,,it will ask you if you want to do it the next time the computer starts,,,click yes,,

First to be done,,, virus scan <very very important!!!>

Panda Site

Second to be done
    click start,,,click all programs,,,up at the very top on left side there should be *Windows Update* click,,,be connected to internet,,,,,it will search computer & list all critical updates to download,,,this will also take a very long time,,but is imperative that you do,,,

Next things to be done These are all free & the very best programs to keep your computer clean,,,,
    <I do suggest to go to remove Mcaffe,Sysmatec<sp?>,,,,or other Virus protection before you download AVG,,,grisoft site>
    To remove,,click start,,,click Control Panel,,,click Add or Remove programs,,find Mcaffe,etc. click to remove,,,,

then go to the following sites & download

AVG

Don't be afraid to run & do what the following programs instruct,,,they may seem confusing and a bit scary,,,just jump right in,,,

SpyBot Search & Destroy

Ad-Aware

SpyBlaster

Then,,,after all is done,,do another defragmentation,,this will put everything in it's proper order,,,know that every time you delete or add programs or mail or games,,,whatever,,Defrag should be done no less than once a week ,,,

Now you are protected,,,*if* you do regular maintenance & updates of all programs,,,I do Panda virus scan after every time I go to web,,,<once daily>,,,,but AVG does well if you want only to do Panda once or twice weekly,,just remember Panda updates daily & is the largest & most knowledgeable anti-virus site,,,

extra useful goodies

This program lets you control your startup,,,so you don't have too many programs running in background,,,very easy to use & helps your computer run faster,,
    on site,,left side under software, click startup control panel,,,browse his other software,,& his links,,,,he is great!!

Startup Control Panel

Do you know that everything stays on your hard drive even after you delete??
    This nifty little program *erases all* giving you more *free space* I defrag after every time I run this,,,because of the space it clears,,,

Cleanup

whew!!!!

windy

Language is the dress of thought.

2. dugq

dugq

I would also recommend Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard from www.javacoolsoftware.com

A good firewall is important either zone alarm and sygate are free

Also, personally I prefer Avast over AVG, I found it picks up on a lot more viruses.

3. WindyOne

WindyOne Thread Starter

Hi dugg,,,

Nice to meet you :)

I haven't tried Avast yet,,,and,,I have heard so many complaints about zone alarm,,,,,I am hesitant to use,,,
    <ooops,,,SpywareBlaster was what I meant,,, :(

I am sure there are many other good free programs available,,

I posted what worked for me,,,is only my humble opinion,,,

Thank you for your very quick response :)

Take good care of *you*

windy

Remember, every time you open your mouth to talk, your mind walks out and parades up and down the words.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325504

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice