Help for Unique HDD Problems

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

XTREEMMAK

I just bought a Seagate 400GB hard drive for my computer wich already has an 80gb harddrive (you'll be surprissed how much space an uncompressed wav file at around 48khz a recording takes). What I initially wanted to do when we got the 400gb open is use it as an aditional storage device to comp the Windows XP SP1 installed 80gb Harddrive. When I set it up as the 80 being the master, and the 400gb being the slave, I get a Primary Slave Disk Error -> Press F1. I checked the BIOS and everything is on and it see's the 400gb harddrive. So I check the manual and the use the given CD to access the 400gb harddrive. I tryed to do a long format but it wouldnt move beyond 0%. My guess was that it froze. So I restarted and went back to the utility again. This time I did a quick format and it seemed to work.

So I went along and partitioned the drive to have 200GB on each side. After that I restarted and tryed again. I get the same error. So then I decided to install the OS on the 400GB and use the 80gb as a slave device and transfer all my data over to the 400GB. Irronically when I was done installing on the 400gb, and restarted the computer, it came up with that same Primary Slave Disk error! So then I unplugged the 80GB and tryed to boot. Besides the fact that it first showed the drive as only having 32gb, it Worked perfectly! I was even able to repartition the drive so that it would see the rest of the 400gb harddrive. So after I did that, I was just going to plug in the old drive back in again. Same stupid error would come up, and it wouldn't let me into the OS! So then I switched back out again. I even messed around with the jumper settings! I didn't use both set to cable select, but I did go in and out between master and slave between both drives, and at one point I used the capasity limiting jumper for the Seagate so that it would only see 32gb.

When I swited back, I just totally formated the first partition of my 80gb harddrive (I have the 80gb split into 2 partitions, 40gb each) and reinstalled the os. Then I plugged in the 400GB. Now I was able to boot up, but Windows wouldn't see the drive. So I went to Disk management to find the space for the drive. Nothing. So I went to systems and refreshed the info. It found the drive and windows was installing everything. Then, THE DAMN THING FREEZES!!! So I restart the computer and try to boot, and it stops right when it's about to go into the OS. I had to go into Safe mode and disable the drive to get back into windows normally.

I dont know wha'ts going on or if anyone could help me out. I meen even though Windows sees the drive, sometimes it wont after making a few physical changes. This is also the Second one I bought. I exchanged for the same exact drive because I thought it was defective. But Its doing the same exact thing like the other drive! I'm just so used to using Western Digital drives, this is the first time I ever used a SeaGate.

Sorry for taking so long to explain but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

maybe look into your motherboards company for a bios update that supports large drives. And if i remmber right to use a drive over 137gigs you need a sp1 and some updates. Im running winxp sp2 with a 160 and a 250 fine no problems.

XTREEMMAK

Yeah I already checked for Bios updates on my Motherboard. All it has is processor updates and those processor updates are for support. Nothing regarding Harddrives.

I am running SP1 though. BTW, the Motherboard is an ASUS P4VP-MX board with 1.5gb ram

well if it has a bios update id get it if you feel safe doing it i like to keep mine updated sometimes hidden fixes and stableity fixes.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online